Bio Blocks Any Good?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard something like 1 bio block is 1,000 pounds of rock... Obviously very exaggerated for marketing, but are they any good compared to live rock? If there was a guess what is a 1 pound bio block compared to pounds of live rock? The reason I ask is I plan to start up a 120-150 soon and if I could buy these blocks and put them in my current sump and allow them to build bacteria and then boost the new tank that would be optimal, but just wanna know if this is a good or bad idea, what brands if any of them are good? How much or how many should I use? Any info is appreciated thanks!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should work great for your purpose. I recently did the same, threw some Maxspect plates in my sump for a few weeks then used them to start a new aquarium. I would say this is fairly common practice (though I could be remembering this from my freshwater days haha), and I have even heard of LFS that will basically trade you a new block off the shelf for one of the old blocks from their sump.

Just a word on surface area. . . As I understand it: They do offer a lot of surface area for bacterial colonization. . . more than is needed for most of our applications, especially considering the surface area already available in our rockwork (and sand bed if you are a blasphemous heretic that doesn't run bare bottom). . . and probably offer more surface area than the rocks we use in our tanks (pound for pound anyway).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work great for your purpose. I recently did the same, threw some Maxspect plates in my sump for a few weeks then used them to start a new aquarium. I would say this is fairly common practice (though I could be remembering this from my freshwater days haha), and I have even heard of LFS that will basically trade you a new block off the shelf for one of the old blocks from their sump.

Just a word on surface area. . . As I understand it: They do offer a lot of surface area for bacterial colonization. . . more than is needed for most of our applications, especially considering the surface area already available in our rockwork (and sand bed if you are a blasphemous heretic that doesn't run bare bottom). . . and probably offer more surface area than the rocks we use in our tanks.
from your surface area quote don't they say the more rock the better, the more bacteria the better you be? One thing is I got a 20L as a sump and am tight on space so wondering if I could dense down some of my live rock from in there for 2 or 3 blocks... then make a little frag or something holding the area down there.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there is a point of diminishing returns. . . now this is just an informed guess/speculation (as all of my posts are haha). . . where your bacterial populations are limited by the available food regardless of how much space is available for colonization.

As far as removing rock from your sump and replacing it with media, that is probably fine assuming your tank is mature, meaning there is already plenty of bacteria living in the rock and sand of the display. Best way would be to add the blocks to the tank/sump for a few weeks then remove the rock from your sump. . . but again if you system is mature you could probably make the switch instantly without too much trouble. Still probably best to test and monitor levels and all that.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a point of diminishing returns. . . now this is just an informed guess/speculation (as all of my posts are haha). . . where your bacterial populations are limited by the available food regardless of how much space is available for colonization.

As far as removing rock from your sump and replacing it with media, that is probably fine assuming your tank is mature, meaning there is already plenty of bacteria living in the rock and sand of the display. Best way would be to add the blocks to the tank/sump for a few weeks then remove the rock from your sump. . . but again if you system is mature you could probably make the switch instantly without too much trouble. Still probably best to test and monitor levels and all that.
Tank is not mature but need to take the rock out of the bottom break it up and scape it and epoxy and glue it together but, I would mist it with water but it’ll sit out of the water to cure so most will die

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not mature but need to take the rock out of the bottom break it up and scape it and epoxy and glue it together but, I would mist it with water but it’ll sit out of the water to cure so most will die
Trying to make sense of what you are trying accomplish.

The bio bricks will not + or - bacteria.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just taking rock out of my sump building a scape with it which I have been putting off, which leaves me with space in my sump. Wondering if I should get more rock or put bricks in there, and thinking for the future for a new tank which would be better to turbo start it with.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just taking rock out of my sump building a scape with it which I have been putting off, which leaves me with space in my sump. Wondering if I should get more rock or put bricks in there, and thinking for the future for a new tank which would be better to turbo start it with.
Ok.

Rocks in sump is old methodology.

I did it with previous tanks.

Works fine, seed new rocks.

Bio media are not needed.

Leave the sump, a sump no rocks. You'll be fine.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria is on the rock whether it’s in the sump or display it makes no difference.

If your concern is to bring bacteria to a new tank to help it cycle, get some matrix media or better yet, pot scrubbers. And just leave in the sump till you need them

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

Rocks in sump is old methodology.

I did it with previous tanks.

Works fine, seed new rocks.

Bio media are not needed.

Leave the sump, a sump no rocks. You'll be fine.

but bioblocks makes things a lot cleaner IMO..

20240126_172306.jpg

20240126_172302.jpg

Also if i need to "seed" another tank for some reason, i can just take one of those blocks and move it over to that system instead of taking a piece of rock.

Not to mention that little block probably has more surface area then a 1lb rock at 1/10th the weight / size due to how pourus it is....

I use Both these small ones sitting right below filter socks, and the big brightwell ones in my main sump with refugium.

I do know if you get super cheap ones, they will Melt, and disintegrate.
But i havent had any issues with the brightwell ones, and these guys yet.

But i am a fan of bioblocks... because it makes your sump a bit more maintance friendly, and if friends need a seed or something, you can just give them a block soaked in water to take home.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just unecessary unless the tank is severely limited in rock or sand. If you want to seed a tank, I'd just get a biosponge and put it in the sump. Cheap and effective

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240126_172306.jpg

20240126_172302.jpg

Also if i need to "seed" another tank for some reason, i can just take one of those blocks and move it over to that system instead of taking a piece of rock.

Not to mention that little block probably has more surface area then a 1lb rock at 1/10th the weight / size due to how pourus it is....

I use Both these small ones sitting right below filter socks, and the big brightwell ones in my main sump with refugium.

But i am a fan of bioblocks... because it makes your sump a bit more maintance friendly, and if friends need a seed or something, you can just give them a block soaked in water to take home.
Looks like digital media.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Biobricks" are the current bridges that Big Reef is trying to sell us. Rocks are porous and usually have lots of holes. They are irregular shaped which make for pleasing aquascapes. Biobricks are expensive bricks...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240126_172306.jpg

20240126_172302.jpg

Real live rock from the ocean has a far greater surface area and is far better to cycle a tank.

These type of blocks are just expensive marketing media.

If you need some to transfer to a new tank just leave some rubble in your sump.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Biobricks" are the current bridges that Big Reef is trying to sell us. Rocks are porous and usually have lots of holes. They are irregular shaped which make for pleasing aquascapes. Biobricks are expensive bricks...
Yes i tend to agree and the whole surface area with regards to matrix, bricks etc is pure marketing. Expensive bio media is over rated, can be used if you like but it’s just marketing hype.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if modern reef rock is that porous.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from your surface area quote don't they say the more rock the better, the more bacteria the better you be?

No, I do not believe that is true. It may actually be worse. It is potentially undesirable for there to be too much ammonia reduction capacity because corals may benefit more from getting N as ammonia than as nitrate. Likewise, too much denitrification capacity may lead to needing to dosing nitrate or ammonia.

IMO, don't run wild with the unsupported idea that if some is good, more must be better, and in this case, maybe none is best.

I never felt the need to have any such materials in my reef tank.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, don't run wild with the unsupported idea that if some is good, more must be better, and in this case, maybe none is best.

I never felt the need to have any such materials in my reef tank.
This is interesting. I recently brought in Briopsis into my 40 gal office tank from a frag. I am now considering setting up a Coral QT tank. With freshly mixed Saltwater, my parameters should match my display as far as alk and Ca is concerned. I assumed that I needed rock in there, but maybe I don't. Would an initial dose of Phosphates and Nitrates be enough to sustain the corals for a few weeks while checking once a week to maintain nutrients?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in two gallons of Seachem Matrix into the sump of my 130 gallon system. At month three my nitrates went to zero and I had to deal with a massive outbreak of dinos. As part of the dino war I removed half the biomedia and had to start dosing nitrates and added more fish. After a few months I stopped having to dose nitrates.

Filter sponge and/or plastic pot scrubbers provide more usable surface area than most biomedia (bacteria cannot get very deep into the media---you can test this but cutting a piece and half and the inside will be pure white) and more living space for copepods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back