Enough bio media

Ctovarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered the right amount of bio media? I have a red sea reefer and i have maybe a cup full of bio balss in it. Ive always had a small nutrients problem Nitrates at around 30 and phosphate at around .30 bit never really thought about it to much could it just be that i need more media what do you guys think. I was gonna get 2 of those media blocks from poly labs or do you think it wont make a difference. I have already ordered them and will try them just hoping that this will solve the issue

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered the right amount of bio media? I have a red sea reefer and i have maybe a cup full of bio balss in it. Ive always had a small nutrients problem Nitrates at around 30 and phosphate at around .30 bit never really thought about it to much could it just be that i need more media what do you guys think. I was gonna get 2 of those media blocks from poly labs or do you think it wont make a difference. I have already ordered them and will try them just hoping that this will solve the issue

"Bio Media"?

I'm guessing that is media that sits in your sump and provides a place for your nitrifying bacteria colony to colonize and grow.

If so, I would suggest that you probably have enough if there is no ammonia present in the tank.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio media will not reduce nitrates or phosphates. As mentioned above, if you have no ammonia in your system with living creatures, your bio media is sufficient. To reduce nitrate and phosphate, you can:

• skim more aggressively
  • add an Algae Turf Scrubber
  • Feed less
  • Do more water changes
  • combo of the above

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back