Rating - 100%
1   0   0

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assumming from the variations in color that they may retain genetic material within them until theyre ready to release eggs again...just my theory. But if u could determine the sex by watching them spawn maybe isolating the two for a long period of time would eventually lead to just the two nems genetic material being available...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, I think RFA are like most other animals when they reproduce. They share DNA between the parents so some may look like one, some may look like the other and some will be a mix of sorts. That's been my experience with the 3 reproductive events I've had in my tank so far.

I think I've only had 2 or maybe 3 adults responsible for the kids in my tank and they do look similar. But another point to remember is that it appears they all come to the reproduction at the same time. So if you have more than one male spawning and only one female taking in the sperm and creating babies, you could get a RFA that look like either father.

In order to do specific cross breeding you would need to isolate the two specific RFA parents you want to use. So far I don't think any of the offspring from the first batch of kids in my tank are old enough to breed yet. They are still only about half the diameter in size as my full adult RFA's.

How old do they need to be before they can breed? Excellent question. I wish I knew.
And is spawning strictly on a lunar or seasonal time schedule? Another good question I can't answer. And I'd love to know scientific or even anecdotal answers to these questions.

OP
OP
Brandon Smith

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, I think RFA are like most other animals when they reproduce. They share DNA between the parents so some may look like one, some may look like the other and some will be a mix of sorts. That's been my experience with the 3 reproductive events I've had in my tank so far.

I think I've only had 2 or maybe 3 adults responsible for the kids in my tank and they do look similar. But another point to remember is that it appears they all come to the reproduction at the same time. So if you have more than one male spawning and only one female taking in the sperm and creating babies, you could get a RFA that look like either father.

In order to do specific cross breeding you would need to isolate the two specific RFA parents you want to use. So far I don't think any of the offspring from the first batch of kids in my tank are old enough to breed yet. They are still only about half the diameter in size as my full adult RFA's.

How old do they need to be before they can breed? Excellent question. I wish I knew.
And is spawning strictly on a lunar or seasonal time schedule? Another good question I can't answer. And I'd love to know scientific or even anecdotal answers to these questions.
Thank you so much for your response. It is almost impossible to Google this information. I did find a thread of your on this exact subject also. I haven't read all 21 pages yet, but I am very excited to read all of it.

My wife and I breed clownfish, well starting to, and I was thinking that genetics would probably pass down to offspring in RFA's as well. I am not sure that it would be worth it to try selective breeding with RFA's or not, but I do find the idea of it very interesting. Maybe one day in the future I will be able to convince my wife to setup an experiment of sorts.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response. It is almost impossible to Google this information. I did find a thread of your on this exact subject also. I haven't read all 21 pages yet, but I am very excited to read all of it.

My wife and I breed clownfish, well starting to, and I was thinking that genetics would probably pass down to offspring in RFA's as well. I am not sure that it would be worth it to try selective breeding with RFA's or not, but I do find the idea of it very interesting. Maybe one day in the future I will be able to convince my wife to setup an experiment of sorts.

I think the reason you are finding RFA info hard to find is because there is very little of it out there. And most of it is experience and anecdotal rather than scientific. I'm hoping to meet with a marine biologist getting his Phd and studying anemones in general. He is visiting family in Tampa and is driving down to meet a couple of people, one of them being me! He loves RFA and I'm hoping I can get a few factual answers from him.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back