Rock Flower Dying?? Help?

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I purchased a lot of six RFA’s through a trusted online seller, long story short, UPS delivered the package a day late. Florida heat + UPS truck temps doesn’t sound like a great combo. Several things in my order died due to the bags they were in reaching temps above 98 degrees. A few rock flower anemones seemed to survive and I was able to put them into my tank and they planted their foot. It’s been a few days and now a couple of them are starting to look fairly transparent/translucent in the skirts. When they arrived, they were very closed up but after an hour or two they were open and very vibrant colors. Are they still stressed? Hungry? Dying? Not getting enough light from where they positioned themselves? Not enough flow? I thought they would move if the conditions weren’t right but now they look like they’re not doing too great. Please any advice would be wonderful. I have a few other rock flowers that are doing just fine but the ones from this batch and the ordeal they went through, I wonder if that’s the issue.
9F592CB7-FD4B-41DE-9420-F4672CB7CA63.jpeg
9E8ACB89-D839-4899-86AB-0F53C593108C.jpeg
95DBB42C-F452-4DD0-97F0-84454D793FFA.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to say its stress. They will move if they want. I would just leave them be. In a few days try to feed them a piece of frozen mysis, chopped clams or some live black worms.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to say its stress. They will move if they want. I would just leave them be. In a few days try to feed them a piece of frozen mysis, chopped clams or some live black worms.
That’s what I thought. It’s only been since Friday when they were delivered. The only thing that concerned me was they were so vibrant right when I put them in and now they’re kinda translucent. I’ve read some places that it could be bleaching but two of them are under a rock…so light isn’t going to be the issue. Plus I have several that are in even more direct light that are thriving. So odd haha.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all different. Some of mine like the sand, some like the top rock, some hang off rocks and lean on the glass. Its all flow and light.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heat likely caused them to bleach (expel zooxanthelle). You’ll need to feed them as they can’t use photosynthesis when bleached. Over time they should recover, but it will take months for them to get their color back.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea AB+, reef roids and silversides. Do you think any of those will be proper to feed them? I’ve fed small pieces of silversides to my other healthy rock flower with no issues.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea AB+, reef roids and silversides. Do you think any of those will be proper to feed them? I’ve fed small pieces of silversides to my other healthy rock flower with no issues.
They will eat small pieces of meat readily (mysis, brine, etc). I wouldn’t give them anything very big as it takes more energy for them to process and they need to conserve energy to recover more quickly. If you cut up the silversides into small pieces it should be good.

Back