rock for a new tank?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so I am and always have been a little confused with the dry vs live rock situation. specifically the part of dry rock needing to be cured before being added to a tank. for my current 10 gallon, in the past I added pure dry rock in and I haven't really had any issues except cyanobacteria for a while, but I did get a tiger conch and a turbo snail to help. if I were to add about 40 pounds or so of dry rock from bulkreefsupply (specifically the reef saver rock by marcos rock), would I need to cycle it or anything or can I just put it in my tank? I was thinking live from a lfs but it would be pretty expensive right and the chance of parasites is causing me to be cautious. what do you recommended? thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started, i added dry rock, but that was almost 5 months ago so I'm not too sure if it is now live rock, I think it is.
Then you should be fine adding more dry rock, as you’ve already cycled the tank. It may take a bit longer to get the bacteria established, but you should be good to go.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should be fine adding more dry rock, as you’ve already cycled the tank. It may take a bit longer to get the bacteria established, but you should be good to go.
ok so just to be clear, ill just add 40 ish pounds of dry rock at once without rlly curing it, put some new live sand with my existing live sand, put my current rock in with the new dry rock, and maybe transfer some of the water and majority of the filter media over as well. i might leave my clown and dotty in a separate tank for a while and just let the 40 run for about 48 hours and test the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites just to be sure everything is good.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so I am and always have been a little confused with the dry vs live rock situation. specifically the part of dry rock needing to be cured before being added to a tank. for my current 10 gallon, in the past I added pure dry rock in and I haven't really had any issues except cyanobacteria for a while, but I did get a tiger conch and a turbo snail to help. if I were to add about 40 pounds or so of dry rock from bulkreefsupply (specifically the reef saver rock by marcos rock), would I need to cycle it or anything or can I just put it in my tank? I was thinking live from a lfs but it would be pretty expensive right and the chance of parasites is causing me to be cautious. what do you recommended? thanks!
If you get Marco rock which is what I used, just hose it down well, let it dry in the sun and put it in your tank. Job done.

edit. Then start cycling. If you add rock from your previous tank that will speed things up but it will take awhile for the new rock to catch up.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get Marco rock which is what I used, just hose it down well, let it dry in the sun and put it in your tank. Job done.
would it be OK to add about like 40 pounds of it in at once with already established filter media, live sand, and live rock? i don't rlly wanna wait to add my current 2 fish yk, kinda just want them to have the 40 to themselves till I get more fish yk, everything would be fine getting added at once? also, for hosing it down and stuff, RODI water or... and for how long should they be hosed and dried? thank you sm!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hose it down with the garden hose ya know then let it dry ya know. ;)
It’s a bit dusty when you get it.
you’ll still need to make sure the new tank can process ammonia so start a regular cycle with an ammonia source. I would also add some bacteria personally. It should only take a few days.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hose it down with the garden hose ya know then let it dry ya know. ;)
It’s a bit dusty when you get it.
you’ll still need to make sure the new tank can process ammonia so start a regular cycle with an ammonia source. I would also add some bacteria personally. It should only take a few days.
ok so do everything i said before, keep the fish separate for some time, and then let the tank run for like a week or so, and then just add some ammonia every now and then, and test after abt a week right? sorry, its been a while since I focused on my tanks, but ammonia and nitrite is supposed to be 0, and nitrate is supposed to be a little high right and then that's when you do a water change and your tank is ready yes? thank you sm!

Back