Rock rubble

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Rxb09a, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rxb09a

Rxb09a Active Member

I know for awhile bio balls were the big thing but are pretty much non existent anymore. Now more people seem to be running live rock rubble in their filtration instead of bioballs. I’ve never really understood the use of either. Is it just a place for more beneficial bacteria to grow?

Tags:

2. Ds04384

Ds04384 Active Member

Yup you're exactly right. It's just to provide more surface area for bacteria. Bioballs were attempting to do the same thing but live rock rubble is a more natural alternative

Ergodyne and Rxb09a like this.
  3. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Stuff like pods and other beneficial critters will grow in rubble rock, plus it looks more natural and you have cycled media ready if you ever decide to start a second tank ;)

Idoc, Ergodyne and Ds04384 like this.
  4. Rxb09a

Rxb09a Active Member

That would be nice! Waiting on the cycle sucks. That’s what I’m currenlty doing.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted