Rock rubble

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for awhile bio balls were the big thing but are pretty much non existent anymore. Now more people seem to be running live rock rubble in their filtration instead of bioballs. I’ve never really understood the use of either. Is it just a place for more beneficial bacteria to grow?

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for awhile bio balls were the big thing but are pretty much non existent anymore. Now more people seem to be running live rock rubble in their filtration instead of bioballs. I’ve never really understood the use of either. Is it just a place for more beneficial bacteria to grow?

Yup you're exactly right. It's just to provide more surface area for bacteria. Bioballs were attempting to do the same thing but live rock rubble is a more natural alternative

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff like pods and other beneficial critters will grow in rubble rock, plus it looks more natural and you have cycled media ready if you ever decide to start a second tank ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back