ROCKFLOWER ANEMONES BURRY IN SAND

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I have just added 3 RFA to my reef tank I had one smaller one for a few months (yellow one on the right). The other 3 are new within 48hrs. The yellow one has always stayed under the sand. It hasn't moved much and hasn't looked unhealthy. Well the other day I added 3 more these when full are easily 3" Round. Despite what others have said about just temp acclimating them and if the salinity matches just throw them in. Since I knew how nice they looked and how my yellow one always stays under the rocks, I decided to temp acclimate them for 20min and then drip acclimate them for 20min. I figured "what could it hurt?". I then added them to my tank with flow off. It took about 2hrs for them to attach. They were not opened up fully but were opening up I'd say 85%. Well fast forward to now and I have noticed that the one to the right of the yellow (original) one seems very tight and somewhat under the sand. The other 2 moved tight into a rock crevice right next to each other. But they don't seem very open either? I just don't understand?? This tank is nearly 2.5years old. I have bubble tips that do amazing, all my other coral sps, lps, soft are fine. It's just these RFA that don't seem happy to Me. They are on the sand bed which in that spot is very thin only maybe a half inch deep.
I do weekly water changes 25% on the money. I run carbon and gfo. Here are my parameters as of today.
Salinity (red sea)- 35ppt
Temp-78°
Ammonia- 0ppm (api)
Nitrite- 0ppm (api)
Nitrate- 20 or less (sailfert)
CA- 440ppm (redsea)
ALK- 8.4 dkh (hanna checker)
Phos- .08 (hanna ULR checker)
I use a 7 stage brs rodi unit with 0tds water.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I have plenty of caves and shaded areas that they could move to for less light if that was what they wanted. Other than that i have zero idea as to what is could be.
Please help! Something just isn't right. I would say give it more time, but since I already have one that does that it leads me to think it's something else. Bubble tips just to show how it looks.

20220127_164829.jpg 20220127_164850.jpg 20220127_164914.jpg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I have just added 3 RFA to my reef tank I had one smaller one for a few months (yellow one on the right). The other 3 are new within 48hrs. The yellow one has always stayed under the sand. It hasn't moved much and hasn't looked unhealthy. Well the other day I added 3 more these when full are easily 3" Round. Despite what others have said about just temp acclimating them and if the salinity matches just throw them in. Since I knew how nice they looked and how my yellow one always stays under the rocks, I decided to temp acclimate them for 20min and then drip acclimate them for 20min. I figured "what could it hurt?". I then added them to my tank with flow off. It took about 2hrs for them to attach. They were not opened up fully but were opening up I'd say 85%. Well fast forward to now and I have noticed that the one to the right of the yellow (original) one seems very tight and somewhat under the sand. The other 2 moved tight into a rock crevice right next to each other. But they don't seem very open either? I just don't understand?? This tank is nearly 2.5years old. I have bubble tips that do amazing, all my other coral sps, lps, soft are fine. It's just these RFA that don't seem happy to Me. They are on the sand bed which in that spot is very thin only maybe a half inch deep.
I do weekly water changes 25% on the money. I run carbon and gfo. Here are my parameters as of today.
Salinity (red sea)- 35ppt
Temp-78°
Ammonia- 0ppm (api)
Nitrite- 0ppm (api)
Nitrate- 20 or less (sailfert)
CA- 440ppm (redsea)
ALK- 8.4 dkh (hanna checker)
Phos- .08 (hanna ULR checker)
I use a 7 stage brs rodi unit with 0tds water.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I have plenty of caves and shaded areas that they could move to for less light if that was what they wanted. Other than that i have zero idea as to what is could be.
Please help! Something just isn't right. I would say give it more time, but since I already have one that does that it leads me to think it's something else. Bubble tips just to show how it looks.

20220127_164829.jpg 20220127_164850.jpg 20220127_164914.jpg
Your lights are probably to bright for them I would very very carefully move them to a shaded area of the tank. The light is probably to bright for them to even move to find a shaded spot. Whenever you uproot them put them in a shaded spot with medium flow and on a rock!!! It could also be that there looking for something sturdy to anchor to and the sand is to lose so the attach to the glass bottom. Also do you feed them any frozen food or meaty meals. Well best of luck to ya

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lights are probably to bright for them I would very very carefully move them to a shaded area of the tank. The light is probably to bright for them to even move to find a shaded spot. Whenever you uproot them put them in a shaded spot with medium flow and on a rock!!! It could also be that there looking for something sturdy to anchor to and the sand is to lose so the attach to the glass bottom. Also do you feed them any frozen food or meaty meals. Well best of luck to ya
All I feed is a variety of different frozen foods soaked in selcon. I feed reef roids etc. To corals. I give them a puff when I feed the corals. I will also feed them, a small puff of brine, or a mysis shrimp. So, I had rented a par meter and I'm pretty sure the par level in that area is 80-125par. I would say its definitely not over 125par where they are. Will to much light bleach them or cause them to bury like that? Or what are some of the symptoms of to much light? And can it kill them? Another thing is the 2 that are tucked up in the rock crevice are kind of under a rock a bit and under a over hang, so I would guess the par right there to be even less than 80-125. Maybe 80, maybe 100. Hard to say forsure. I guess I could take some cardboard and shade that spot some to dim it down. Would that work to at least help solve the problem? Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started out and attached themselves pretty quickly. Then over the next few days some of them moved. Two completely buried themselves in the sand completely hidden. A few more days later they slowly emerged. They slowly found their happy spots. They definitely prefer to keep out of bright light higher on the rock. They stay more towards the bottom, but in full light or partially shaded. I have 10 of them and they are all over the place. Give them time.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I feed is a variety of different frozen foods soaked in selcon. I feed reef roids etc. To corals. I give them a puff when I feed the corals. I will also feed them, a small puff of brine, or a mysis shrimp. So, I had rented a par meter and I'm pretty sure the par level in that area is 80-125par. I would say its definitely not over 125par where they are. Will to much light bleach them or cause them to bury like that? Or what are some of the symptoms of to much light? And can it kill them? Another thing is the 2 that are tucked up in the rock crevice are kind of under a rock a bit and under a over hang, so I would guess the par right there to be even less than 80-125. Maybe 80, maybe 100. Hard to say forsure. I guess I could take some cardboard and shade that spot some to dim it down. Would that work to at least help solve the problem? Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
I would definitely find a way to shade it for at least a week or two and if they emerge then you know what your problem was!

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely find a way to shade it for at least a week or two and if they emerge then you know what your problem was!
So I was reading a thread on here called "rockflower anemones and par levels" and there are several people that say that keep them anywhere from 80-350par. There are several people that back up that claim, saying that they keep them at the same or similar setting. So for now I just put a piece of Styrofoam over that spot of the tank to allow less light to get to them. I also read that the brighter and more colorful RFA come from deeper water 30'-90' and do not rely as much on photosynthesis as the dull colored RFA which can be found in very shallow water as shallow as 1'. I would say my rocks flowers are not of a "ultra" variety but more of a "premium" level of color. At the end of the day I will just try less light for now and see. I will give an update in a couple weeks. I have 3 more RFA on there way. So I really hope that the lower lighting helps.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started out and attached themselves pretty quickly. Then over the next few days some of them moved. Two completely buried themselves in the sand completely hidden. A few more days later they slowly emerged. They slowly found their happy spots. They definitely prefer to keep out of bright light higher on the rock. They stay more towards the bottom, but in full light or partially shaded. I have 10 of them and they are all over the place. Give them time.
Ok! I will continue to monitor the
Thanks for the feedback. So for now I am just going to provide some shade. As I mentioned to "coralreefdefender" I read a post about RFA and par levels. One person said they keep their RFA in 309ish par, and several other people confirmed that statement by saying that they keep them from 150-350 par. Another thing I read, was that the more colorful the RFA the deeper the water they come from. Relying less on photosynthesis, where as the more drab colored nems come from shallow waters all little as 1'. My nems are not getting 300par or 200 for that matter. I'm hoping that over the next few days they open up a little more. I just have a hard time pin pointing the exact issue. The person I got a few of these from had them in a 3month old tank, with no set light schedule, no skimmer, a basic hob filter. She would turn the lights on when she was home and off when away. She used a hydrometer for her water, no test kit and after all of that they looked great! I have them and feel like somewhat of an experienced reefer and can't seem to get them to be happy. It's odd! I can keep acros like kobe bean, and Walt Disney growing great, but am struggling with these RFs. It's frustrating to say the least. I will give a update when and if I see some changes.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get anywhere from 50 to 100 +\- par not including the ones that are hiding completely under a rock of overhang. Harvest locations impacting sensitivities makes complete sense.

I couldn’t grab clear photos of the ones hiding, but here a few of the others. There a four RFA in first photo, and three in the second. The green one in the first pic spawned just the other day!

F8ECA4A9-88C1-40C3-87C5-6D7A1A783DCC.jpeg

D30F0235-42CA-4871-A4E0-DFBBACE13CA8.jpeg

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, mine are no where near as open as yours. Something is not right. I just don't know what. Other than light, what would bother them that wouldn't be bothering my other anemones and inverts? Pics just taken.

Attachments

• 20220128_172150.jpg
    20220128_172150.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220128_172137.jpg
    20220128_172137.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 55

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, mine are no where near as open as yours. Something is not right. I just don't know what. Other than light, what would bother them that wouldn't be bothering my other anemones and inverts? Pics just taken.
I have a few hidden or not as open just like yours in those pics. They will eventually move.

I had a red max mini that hid under a rock for like two months or so with no light. I’ve didn’t know where it went and assumed it melted until I put a submersible cam in the tank and found it. It emerged nearly bleached. Took weeks to get some color back. It was hungry as hell. So I fed it a pellet or two every few days. Once I moved him to the new tank he partially hid under a rock. When he emerged he moved to the highest spot in my rock scape and curled up. A few weeks later he split into three. Each are in different spots of the tank now growing.

For whatever my opinion is worth, just keep an eye out. If they remain detached, rolling around, or melting then you want to intervene. If your tank is tank is two + years old and those parameters are stable, then let them do their thing.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them and they have spawned. They are all over tank. Albeit small. They are on top of the rocks in high lighting but not intense lighting. They are on the bottom also. They will do well wherever they end up or they will perish from not the right conditions.
Kinda like in their natural conditions. Amazing how that works!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am glad to hear that they will be ok if they bury them selves. I bought 6 kind of on a whim! I had an outstanding order and he was selling them 5 for 70 plus I bought one additional for 20 that was super colorful!

So I have had them almost 2 weeks and they immediately liked the spot I put them in because the never really moved much at all. So today I was fixing to do my first WC since I got them and was kind of messing with the sand and now several are burried and they are all attached to the bottom of the glass! I am not sure if they have been attached all this time because the sand is over and inch and they just looked like they were kind of sitting on top but a few were attached to the side of the rock!

I noticed today that the food I feed last night (benepets) seemed to be hovering over the top of one. I am wondering if he is dead now and I sure hope not especially since I have a huge order of highend zoas coming in tomorrow and one holy grail acan! I did notice that after returning home from a 3 day trip yesterday that my hammer is dying and duncan isnt opening fully and they are the closest corals next to where I have the nems! I am going to check ammonia now but my kit is almost 3 years old so hopefully not expired!

How would i know if one has recently perished? How do you keep the sand clean near them? I always fully vacuum tank but cant do that now where they are at! Can I stir up the sand and let detritus escape knowing it might bury them in sand each time! I really appreciate any advise!

I have always wanted some and they are no doubt a beautiful addition but now kind of regretting it because the reasons I just mentioned! LOL You really have no way of knowing if one is in trouble dead or dying do you? I dont want them causing ammonia spikes!

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am glad to hear that they will be ok if they bury them selves. I bought 6 kind of on a whim! I had an outstanding order and he was selling them 5 for 70 plus I bought one additional for 20 that was super colorful!

So I have had them almost 2 weeks and they immediately liked the spot I put them in because the never really moved much at all. So today I was fixing to do my first WC since I got them and was kind of messing with the sand and now several are burried and they are all attached to the bottom of the glass! I am not sure if they have been attached all this time because the sand is over and inch and they just looked like they were kind of sitting on top but a few were attached to the side of the rock!

I noticed today that the food I feed last night (benepets) seemed to be hovering over the top of one. I am wondering if he is dead now and I sure hope not especially since I have a huge order of highend zoas coming in tomorrow and one holy grail acan! I did notice that after returning home from a 3 day trip yesterday that my hammer is dying and duncan isnt opening fully and they are the closest corals next to where I have the nems! I am going to check ammonia now but my kit is almost 3 years old so hopefully not expired!

How would i know if one has recently perished? How do you keep the sand clean near them? I always fully vacuum tank but cant do that now where they are at! Can I stir up the sand and let detritus escape knowing it might bury them in sand each time! I really appreciate any advise!

I have always wanted some and they are no doubt a beautiful addition but now kind of regretting it because the reasons I just mentioned! LOL You really have no way of knowing if one is in trouble dead or dying do you? I dont want them causing ammonia spikes!
Sadly, I have had a few perish on arrival or shortly upon arrival. The float around usually, they curl up, and they start to fall apart. Basically what I think people mean when they say “melt.” They can melt while attached in which case it would be strongly and falling apart.

You’ll know.

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.
For those whose RFs buried in the sand, did they eventually re-emerge? I got one from RAP NY, it was happy as a clam for 2 days suctioned on a frag plug in nestled in the sand. Woke up today and he slid himself off and buried in the sand, attaching to the glass on the bottom. I'm thinking I'll give him some time to figure out what he wants.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.
For those whose RFs buried in the sand, did they eventually re-emerge? I got one from RAP NY, it was happy as a clam for 2 days suctioned on a frag plug in nestled in the sand. Woke up today and he slid himself off and buried in the sand, attaching to the glass on the bottom. I'm thinking I'll give him some time to figure out what he wants.
Yes. They will move when they are ready. They can move to some strange places, though.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back