Rocks First or Sand First?

EmeraldCoastReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2025
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
Emerald Coast, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 15yrs since I had a reef. I'm setting up a 75g and will be using the Berlin method, with a quality skimmer and a lot of live rock in the tank and sump.

Do you put the rocks in and arrange the aquascape first, THEN add the sand? Or visa versa?
 
Its been 15yrs since I had a reef. I'm setting up a 75g and will be using the Berlin method, with a quality skimmer and a lot of live rock in the tank and sump.

Do you put the rocks in and arrange the aquascape first, THEN add the sand? Or visa versa?
You will get answers on both sides. I have done both. I prefer to put sand down first then rock. People worry about fish toppling rock formations by digging underneath but I have yet to see that ever happen in 20+ years of setting up tanks. I just press the rock down into the sand when I start placing. If I add sand afterwards I end up missing all kinds of holes and crevices.
 
I did sand then rock first. Laid a layer of sand, then pushed the rocks down onto it. Worked fine for me!
 
I'm the oddball who DID have a rockscape collapse and kill some livestock (granted it was a small temporary tank and it only killed my yellow watchman, but man he was BELOVED) after putting rocks on sand.

Eggcrate, rock layer, sand, finish rockwork.
 
I'm the oddball who DID have a rockscape collapse and kill some livestock (granted it was a small temporary tank and it only killed my yellow watchman, but man he was BELOVED) after putting rocks on sand.

Eggcrate, rock layer, sand, finish rockwork.
I second the rock on egg rate. Maybe for a different reason. When I move rock every few years I don’t like seeing black where rock was under substrate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new