Rocks not holding together with epoxy + super glue

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, hoping somebody can give me some advice or resources to be able to glue my aquascape together! This is my first time attempting to glue rocks together as in the past I would try and stack as creatively as I could. But I wanted something more intentional this time, and want more caves + arches, etc. I broke down 3-4 large pieces of rock into 20 small/medium pieces, but I cant for the life of me get the rocks to bond together. I went to my LFS and picked up coralcrete and have been use BSI super glue gel. I put the epoxy on each rock, then glue on the epoxy. I went the glue and mush it to break the top layer of glue. This doesn't seem to give me a solid hold and typically will fall apart even after holding it for a few minutes + setting up to cure overnight.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaForest Stone Fix bonds to wet and dry rocks. I used to bond my wet rocks that are very heavy. Made cliffs too.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held the rocks together and sprinkled some baking soda in the joint, then squeezed thin superglue into the joints. Held it for a second and it bonded. Then I would throw a some rock dust on the joint to help blend it in.
It works well for dry rock, if your rock is live rock then I’m not sure how well it will work. You can also just sprinkle some rock dust in the joint and use thin superglue.
Tidal gardens has a good video on YouTube on the method they used with rock dust.
A41D3018-E48A-49FA-85D3-1403C24A7493.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my last scape using this. There are some pics in my build thread. I lack creativity so it's not an awesome scape but everything I bonded together is rock solid (pun intended) and still together. This is assuming your rock is dry? Screenshot_20220830-091808_Chrome.jpg

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, hoping somebody can give me some advice or resources to be able to glue my aquascape together! This is my first time attempting to glue rocks together as in the past I would try and stack as creatively as I could. But I wanted something more intentional this time, and want more caves + arches, etc. I broke down 3-4 large pieces of rock into 20 small/medium pieces, but I cant for the life of me get the rocks to bond together. I went to my LFS and picked up coralcrete and have been use BSI super glue gel. I put the epoxy on each rock, then glue on the epoxy. I went the glue and mush it to break the top layer of glue. This doesn't seem to give me a solid hold and typically will fall apart even after holding it for a few minutes + setting up to cure overnight.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way?
The hold you get from epoxy and superglue takes time to strengthen/dry. I would recommend building supports with blocks of wood or something stackable to develop you arches. Order some insta-set from brs or go to a wood working store that sells CA glue products and get their brand of setting spray. This will allow you to work more without breaking your work. Don’t be shy with the glue either as you can use gust glue if you do a good job. After you glue a few sections, go back and pack the cracks with your epoxy or aquascape mortar. This will give especially your arches the strength they need. If you don’t like how the epoxy looks after you pack the joints you can put more superglue on it and sprinkle aragonite on it.

BRS has some good YouTube videos on aquascaping, I’d watch them all to get a perspective on their opinion and ho they arrived there. I like using superglue and mortar but that’s me.

good look happy reefing.
F273B487-C255-4074-B93A-3E0722C85FFE.jpeg
F84E812E-B3EB-4A61-9B59-176516FE2FF4.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my last scape using this. There are some pics in my build thread. I lack creativity so it's not an awesome scape but everything I bonded together is rock solid (pun intended) and still together. This is assuming your rock is dry? Screenshot_20220830-091808_Chrome.jpg
Yes using dry rock only, ill have to try BRS videos. I wanted to try to use what I had but looks like I might try their instaset + superglue and epoxy for after the hold.

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes using dry rock only, ill have to try BRS videos. I wanted to try to use what I had but looks like I might try their instaset + superglue and epoxy for after the hold.
I tried to do it without the insta-set but gosh I was frustrated. It took 1 to 2 minutes just to hold a song as I didn’t bump the pieces. And I bumped a lot of pieces. Be careful though, it’s addicting and once you have the stuff you will want more tanks just to make more master pieces.

Good luck

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back