RODC-5500 AC Pump Hack for Apex-EL?

Manny'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a used RODC-5500 AC pump in really good shape and in another forum, I saw someone say it can somehow be outfitted to work on an Apex. Does anyone know if this is actually possible? If so, what do I need to do to make it work? I'm considering getting an Apex-EL.
20180813_153436.jpg

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Manny'sReef ! This is a great idea. I'm looking to do the same for my skimmer which runs an RODC 5500S. You'll want the RODC5500 to VarioS-6 Upgrade Kit from CoralVue: https://www.coralvue.com/rodc5500-to-varios-6-upgrade-kit
Included in this kit is the VarioS Advanced Pump Controller which has the 0-10v input. You can use this input to enable a 3rd party controller such as Neptune System’s Apex to take over the pump and tell it what to do. In this mode, the new VarioS controller becomes an interface between the system controller and the pump allowing you to create intricate programs using your system controller native language.

OP
OP
Manny'sReef

Manny'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Manny'sReef ! This is a great idea. I'm looking to do the same for my skimmer which runs an RODC 5500S. You'll want the RODC5500 to VarioS-6 Upgrade Kit from CoralVue: https://www.coralvue.com/rodc5500-to-varios-6-upgrade-kit
Included in this kit is the VarioS Advanced Pump Controller which has the 0-10v input. You can use this input to enable a 3rd party controller such as Neptune System’s Apex to take over the pump and tell it what to do. In this mode, the new VarioS controller becomes an interface between the system controller and the pump allowing you to create intricate programs using your system controller native language.
Wow, thanks for the quick answer! From the description it sounds like the 5500 is pretty much the exact pump hardware as the VarioS 6S, it just has the newly upgraded controller. Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade and how it performs with an Apex?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention that the ApexEL base unit does not come with built-in support for the 4-channels of variable/speed dimming (0-10V) that the 2016 base unit has. You will need to add the VDM module to get 0-10V control from the ApexEL.

If there's any other functionality that you think you'll want to add that may be built-in on the 2016 base unit (like ORP or salinity) or you don't want to manage so many modules, it may be appropriate to consider buying the base unit and EB832 separately so you get the full built-in functionality.

Apex Base Unit - 400
EB832 - 250
Temp Probe - 30
pH Probe - 60
Total - $740

ApexEL - 500
VDM - 100
Total - $600

Apex Controller System - $800
Includes Salinity and ORP probes which could be sold

OP
OP
Manny'sReef

Manny'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention that the ApexEL base unit does not come with built-in support for the 4-channels of variable/speed dimming (0-10V) that the 2016 base unit has. You will need to add the VDM module to get 0-10V control from the ApexEL.

If there's any other functionality that you think you'll want to add that may be built-in on the 2016 base unit (like ORP or salinity) or you don't want to manage so many modules, it may be appropriate to consider buying the base unit and EB832 separately so you get the full built-in functionality.

Apex Base Unit - 400
EB832 - 250
Temp Probe - 30
pH Probe - 60
Total - $740

ApexEL - 500
VDM - 100
Total - $600

Apex Controller System - $800
Includes Salinity and ORP probes which could be sold
Gosh, I'm sure glad you took the time to point that out. Again, thanks so much. More to think about...

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back