RODI AND SOLENOID TO ATO CONTAINER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using a solenoid valve from their RODI to their ATO container using float/level switches? I'm trying to find out which would be the best choice of switches, thnx.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the one Homeseer sells. https://homeseer.com/compare-z-wave-water-valves/
I looked at several and it seemed like the best deal. Should be avail elsewhere without the z-wave interface.

I've moved it off the RODI since getting a smart buddie, but I still use the solenoid elsewhere. Seems pretty durable.

OP
OP
R

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any problems with the Neptune solenoid valve?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any problems with the Neptune solenoid valve?
I did but it was quickly resolved by Neptune it was doing something like changing my flow sensors to water on floor sensors everytime it turned on but Neptune promptly fixed it.

I am doing exactly what u are trying to do I beleive
So with the two empty ports on my ATK I used one of Neptune’s optical sensors for the bottom of my trash can and one optical sensor for the top. And I set up my 35 gallon rodi water container to run exactly like the ATK does in my sump. I just measured how long it takes to fill up 35 gallons and put that in the programming instead of three mins the ATK does. So when the bottom sensor is triggered the solenoid turns on until the top one senses water or the allotted ime expires I think it was three and a half hours fills up my tank.

My rodi is also Hooked up to a smart buddie booster pump and I have a float valve so if my sensors don’t work or the solenoid gets stuck on the smart buddie will sense the back pressure and shut off the rodi unit.

I love it being set up this way as the 35 gallon rodi water will last a month and a half and I don’t have anything to mess up like forgetting the water on or running out of water also makes it easy for an emergency ten gallon water change as I have the bottom sensor always turning on with ten gallons left in my trash can.

Every month or two I just try to rember to look at the TDS to make sure I’m still at zero

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having a unlimited supply of fresh water to your tank can be disastrous. I have known people have lost everything not to mention the damage to their house.

OP
OP
R

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a unlimited supply of fresh water to your tank can be disastrous. I have known people have lost everything not to mention the damage to their house.
No, I'm not running my rodi to my tank, just a 5 gal ato container. I still have my ATK from the ato container to my sump, so if it over fills. It will only overfill the ato container.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I'm not running my rodi to my tank, just a 5 gal ato container. I still have my ATK from the ato container to my sump, so if it over fills. It will only overfill the ato container.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. You are running a direct line to your ato container from your RO/DI unit so your ATO container is always full? What happens if the line from your ATO container to the tank fails or sticks on? so basically if Your Auto top off system for the tank fails it has unlimited supply of water instead of what is left in the 5 gallon. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am misunderstanding. You are running a direct line to your ato container from your RO/DI unit so your ATO container is always full? What happens if the line from your ATO container to the tank fails or sticks on? so basically if Your Auto top off system for the tank fails it has unlimited supply of water instead of what is left in the 5 gallon. Or am I misunderstanding you?
i have a similar system.. 50 gallon RO water container... float valve to 10 gallon top off container with top off pump.

my failsafes to prevent endless top off are:

1. third float switch on top of normal upper level ATO
2. Apex with 3 minute max run time and one hour reset program on ATO pump.
3. flood sensors around sump
4. flood sensors around floor of display
5. most importantly, flood sensor in my overflow box.

Pretty failsafe. I would need the float valve going to the RO container to fail, the normal ATO float switch fail, the upper float switch to fail, and my apex to fail in order to overfill my tank. If it does overfill, my return pump will shut off so its contained to the basement.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have a similar system.. 50 gallon RO water container... float valve to 10 gallon top off container with top off pump.

Pretty failsafe. I would need the float valve going to the RO container to fail, the normal ATO float switch fail, the upper float switch to fail, and my apex to fail in order to overfill my tank. If it does overfill, my return pump will shut off so its contained to the basement.

Sounds like you set up allot of protection so hopefully your right.

OP
OP
R

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are right

OP
OP
R

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great idea, I've already done the leak detection failsafe, but I am definitely grabbing another high level float switch for the sump

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune solenoid into a BRS float valve. I have a low water alarm in my RODI tank that triggers the solenoid. I have it set to stay on for 55 minutes. This is plenty of time to fill the five gallon reservoir and the float makes sure that I don’t get wet floors in case it were to stick on.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note of caution with doing it this way is TDS creep. Basically when you first turn on your RODI system you get some TDS that makes its way through. Filling a 50 gallon storage from top to bottom probably not a big deal. Filling a 5 gallon reservoir maybe a bigger deal? I don't know for sure but to avoid this I have a float in my 50 gallon storage and it refills once it's towards the bottom and then a separate pump to refill the ATO from this storage. Might not be a big deal either way.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing but I have fail safes as well
Float valve
Apex sensors
Max run time
Water sensors
In both my top off and for my sump

Number of times I forgot about turning on my rodi unit and flooded my fish room 4

Number of times apex has messed up 1 (one of the sensors stoped working) but with all the other failsafes in place number of times my fish room has been flooded because of apex none

I think it might be hard to understand without actually seeing it but with the apex controlling my ro water it is safer bet then not having it

Every scenario that could go wrong has at least two failsafes in place so my tank or my sump will not overflow say the normally closed solenoid gets stuck open somehow the float valve and the ro booster buddie will stop the water from overflowing and that’s really the only thing I have to worry about going bad a solenoid that needs power to open getting stuck on

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't how you would do it on the Apex, but on my controller when the empty float switch triggers on the DI storage tank the RODI solenoid turns on and the solenoid valve to the DI tank turns on. Both remain on until the full float switch has tripped. This allows the RODI to run for at least 10 gallons at a time. The ATO is on a timer and will shut off if the full float switch in the sump triggers. There is a overfull float incase of the full float failure. I would keep at least a couple of spare float switches around for spares. They seem to fail at the most inopportune times.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I went with float valves, I don’t trust switches to work 100% of the time but I do trust the float valves to prevent a flood.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I went with float valves, I don’t trust switches to work 100% of the time but I do trust the float valves to prevent a flood.
I do have a float valve on the output as a backup incase of the float switch or solenoid failure. Float valves can also fail.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure they can, I’ve never seen it though. My mixing station is always on and only held back by a float valve.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back