RODI Booster Pumps: Install before PreFilters, or before RO Membrane?

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 4 Stage RODI unit, and just purchased a booster pump as I am on lower pressure well water.

The instructions say to put the pump before the prefilters. I have read online stories about pumps cracking the clear acrylic canisters of the Sediment and Carbon prefilters and to place it right before the RO membrane.

Which way is best? I can understand before the prefilters, so I get a good idea of just when my pre's are getting clogged (as PSI will go down on my gauge before RO membrane), but I don't want cracked canisters... I have a single stage whole house filter that would protect against items coming into the pump...

Thanks!

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my booster before prefilters as well for past year . No issues at near 80 psi .

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want it before your canister filters, because that's not where the pressure is needed. You need the pressure for the RO Membrane and that's where the pump goes....right before the RO membrane.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want it before your canister filters, because that's not where the pressure is needed. You need the pressure for the RO Membrane and that's where the pump goes....right before the RO membrane.

Any thoughts towards the idea of pre filter so I know when they start getting clogged? I agree before RO would give good results, but if all these canisters are sealed tight I shouldn't be losing anything along the way anyway.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who still insist on running the pump before the canister filters, please, at a minimum, install a prefilter before the pump. They are made specifically for this....and will remove the silt and sediment from your raw water. It doesn't take much to burn out these pumps with silt/sediment/particulates.
1577851629771.png

Anyway, here's the setup diagram from @Buckeye Hydro showing the pump between the last carbon block and the membrane.

1577851261941.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After prefilters (helps keep any grit out of the pump diaphragm) and before RO stage.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After prefilters (helps keep any grit out of the pump diaphragm) and before RO stage.
And I'd say more importantly, it avoids elevating the pressure inside the prefilter housings. Remember that typically, the weakest parts in your entire system in terms of ability to withstand high pressure, are the clear housings.

Russ

Nate h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on going after the pre filters. Mine goes pre filters, liquid gauge then ro membrane. The pressure is needed at the membrane.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'd say more importantly, it avoids elevating the pressure inside the prefilter housings. Remember that typically, the weakest parts in your entire system in terms of ability to withstand high pressure, are the clear housings.

Russ

I appreciate all the input guys. I can see how having the pump at the RO might give it the best pressure, and i certainly don't want to crack the acrylics.

I'm a bit limited on space, as my RODI is under the guest bathroom sink, and I use a faucet adapter for input then shove the waste down the drain.... I was trying to keep the plumbing as easy as possible in case I need to pull the unit out, do maintenance, etc., and plumbing it at the RO would be a bit awkward for me, but I guess I'll give it a try...

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine vibrated the plumbing in my house when it was hooked up before the prefilters. Problem went away when hooked up after prefilters. Been this way for years now working good.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget these fittings if you have a situation where something with quick connect fittings need to be hooked up and unhooked repeatedly:

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget these fittings if you have a situation where something with quick connect fittings need to be hooked up and unhooked repeatedly:

Oddly I have been looking for a quick disconnect, so I can put a float valve on my Brute on wheels, and when it's full just disconnect and roll into storage.

Would you have any fittings to connect my source water to this setup under my sink, so I can get rid of the faucet adapter?

20190818_084052.jpg

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have PEX tubing there. Check the plumbing aisle at Home Depot - they have plenty of Sharkbite (quick connect) fittings for PEX tubing. It is a good idea to get rid of the faucet adapter - you lose so much pressure through a faucet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back