RODI mishap

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting here since it’s chemistry related.

A few nights ago I had a mishap with my gravity fed top off water. I unplugged the 1/4” tubing from the float valve to clear the line of some air bubbles and when I reconnected it, I didn’t push the line in all the way and ended up dumping about 10 gallons into my sump. 115 gallon total volume before the mishap. I decided to let the evaporation take care of itself but thought I would ask if it would be better to correct it immediately. I would remove the appropriate amount of water and add salt to the sump until it gets to previous salinity.

I have a few zoas, mushrooms, gonis, cyphastrea, and a leptoseris

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting here since it’s chemistry related.

A few nights ago I had a mishap with my gravity fed top off water. I unplugged the 1/4” tubing from the float valve to clear the line of some air bubbles and when I reconnected it, I didn’t push the line in all the way and ended up dumping about 10 gallons into my sump. 115 gallon total volume before the mishap. I decided to let the evaporation take care of itself but thought I would ask if it would be better to correct it immediately. I would remove the appropriate amount of water and add salt to the sump until it gets to previous salinity.

I have a few zoas, mushrooms, gonis, cyphastrea, and a leptoseris
What is the current salinity of your system? What was it prior to the mishap?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t looked. Frankly because I’ve been under the weather and I just didn’t want to know.
Sorry you're not feeling well :(
In that case, without knowing how much to adjust to raise the salinity, I would not do anything. Once you measure it, add saltwater to your ATO and let the salinity rise slowly that way.
* If you find the salinity is too low, then you can definitely add some high salinity water to the tank.

Edit--posted before I had a chance to read the reply in post#4

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked. Not as bad as I thought, but it’s been a couple of days since…although not a whole lot of evaporation has occurred.
It’s 1.024 and I normally keep it at 1.025
Ok, just put your regular saltwater into your ATO reservoir and let it rise that way

Edit-- see post #10

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked. Not as bad as I thought, but it’s been a couple of days since…although not a whole lot of evaporation has occurred.
It’s 1.024 and I normally keep it at 1.025
That's because adding top off doesn't take any salinity out from what you have just adds minor dilution which should evaporate out as you stated.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll just let it evaporate over the next few days and let the salinity normalize that way.
I’ll just have to figure out how to get the skimmer back on without overflowing due to the high level in the sump.

Sound reasonable?

My ATO is a 65 gallon tank…thank God there was only about 10 gal of RODI in it when I had the mishap or I would have been kicked out of the house!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll just let it evaporate over the next few days and let the salinity normalize that way.
I’ll just have to figure out how to get the skimmer back on without overflowing due to the high level in the sump.

Sound reasonable?

My ATO is a 65 gallon tank…thank God there was only about 10 gal of RODI in it when I had the mishap or I would have been kicked out of the house!
Yes, I was incorrect in suggesting adding saltwater to the ATO. I was thinking about how to raise salinity when it's low due to other reasons. If you have 10 extra gallons in your system that you want gone anyway, then letting it evap is the way to go.
Sorry! :)

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Sound reasonable?

You are also asking for a disaster doing that. You should only have an ato that your system can hold. That way you can’t overflow onto your floor.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are also asking for a disaster doing that. You should only have an ato that your system can hold. That way you can’t overflow onto your floor.
I do agree but I only keep about 20 gallons in the container. Still enough to make a mess should something fail but I trust my float valve. I trust that more than an electronic auto top off.
The mishap was my mistake.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back