Roller mat or Refugium

Shibaken3

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Messages
568
Reaction score
371
Location
LasVegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started putting together a new build and realized that if I install a roller mat, I won’t have enough space left for a refugium.
Which would you guys choose for a reef tank: roller mat or refugium? Which one do you think is more beneficial?

I could use filter socks instead, but realistically I know I won’t keep up with cleaning/changing them, so that’s not really an option for me.
Would love to hear what you guys think and why.
 
They serve different purposes. I've run both and if I had to choose only one I would choose roller. A Chaeto fuge for me never help with nutrients but are a great place for pods to reproduce but I have pods in all of my tanks and have no fuge other than a cryptic fuge on one tank.
Socks and a fuge is a good option IMO. You could use mesh socks which are easy to clean. If socks overflow once in a while it doesn't hurt a thing unless there's something wrong in the tank. I've run tanks with no filtration, skimmer or fuge.
 
How big is the sump?


A roller mat, sock, or filter floss are for filtration purposes - Def need it imo

A refuge is a chamber where you grow macro algae to export nutrients and a place for pods multiply.

You dont need a refugium, but you need some sort of filtration system to filter out detritus or any bigger particles that get sucked down into the drain.
 
Essentially what exnisstech stated: Each serves a different purpose, but if I could choose only one it would be a rollermat.
Differing though, I'll never go back to socks. Based on your comments on upkeep, I would avoid as well.

As for if a fuge is beneficial, I think it depends on the overall setup. If you have need for a large pod population, they can be very helpful. For other purposes, other options exist (ie nutrient export can be done by ATS, more water changes).
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new