Rollermat in waterbox sump

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the word that our waterbox 230.6 order is received so the tank will be en route to us soon. I really want to use a rollermat and with the waterbox sump and two 7” filter socks I think I could make this work. I’ve looked at the 7” Klir but has terrible reviews. Any other suggestions or experiences? Thanks.

robnpg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clarisea 3000 looks good, but you would have to plumb it....

ChromisSayWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the ClariSea 5000 on my 190 Waterbox. I’m not sure how the 230 sump is designed, but I had to remove the first filter sock to get it in there.

I would recommend the 5000 since you’ll need flow through that filter that exceeds the 3000.

Once you’ve got the ClariSea installed, you won’t need a sock after it. That bad boy removes everything from the water. I removed the second sock and put ceramic blocks for the bio filtration.

OP
OP
Eder

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Klir and it’s been working great!

IMG_1348.jpg

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the ClariSea 5000 on my 190 Waterbox. I’m not sure how the 230 sump is designed, but I had to remove the first filter sock to get it in there.

I would recommend the 5000 since you’ll need flow through that filter that exceeds the 3000.

Once you’ve got the ClariSea installed, you won’t need a sock after it. That bad boy removes everything from the water. I removed the second sock and put ceramic blocks for the bio filtration.
For the ClariSea 5000 - did you have to modify anything to get the unit installed? Could you share a pic of the unit under your sump? Thanks

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Klir and it’s been working great!

IMG_1348.jpg
I have been looking into getting a Klir so I didn’t have do any sump modifications on my 7226 WB. But I have seen a lot of bad reviews. Does it actually do really well or do you have any concerns?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Rollermat and like it very much. Filter socks after the Theiling is just a waste of space. I can blow my tank snowstorm filthy and in 10 minutes it's crystal clear.

Mark
IMG_20190407_110241.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the klirs been working better lately? I know they’ve had some problems. Wouldn’t mind putting some in my waterboxes.

Rommelboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Klir 7" in my Waterbox 180.5 early this month. The first roll of fleece lasted only 11 days! This may be cause by the heavy bio load in my tank. Aside from that, it seems to be working. I decided to add a second Klir to see if I can stretch it out to a month between fleece replacement. The thing I like about the Klir is that it's a perfect fit for Waterbox sumps. Everything is neat and tidy and no alteration needed.

KlirDi7.jpg

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Klir 7" in my Waterbox 180.5 early this month. The first roll of fleece lasted only 11 days! This may be cause by the heavy bio load in my tank. Aside from that, it seems to be working. I decided to add a second Klir to see if I can stretch it out to a month between fleece replacement. The thing I like about the Klir is that it's a perfect fit for Waterbox sumps. Everything is neat and tidy and no alteration needed.

KlirDi7.jpg
How is the set up on the Klir working these days? Are they hooked up independent of each other or is the first a slave and allowed to over flow to the second to trigger the sensor?

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KlirDi7.jpg
I'd love to know how this is working out for you. Just setting up my 180.5 and realizing I hate how loud the 2nd sock is

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rommelboy @Eder Any updates? 2+ years later would you still recommend a Klir or would you recommend removing the filter sock plate and going with a different brand?
After using the Klir’s for almost 2 years. I can say that I would recommend a different roller. The Klir’s absolutely do the job and Coralvue’s customer service is great about a immediately sending out replacement parts. I had multiple issues with the sensors and controllers. The clearance in the Waterbox cabinet is low. Getting up and out always takes some coordinated movements. Also changing out the matting was always a pain in the butt. If I did not already have a fully established tank going and risk an accident breaking glass in the sump. I would have removed the glass and plates plumbing in a Clarisea.
I ended up ordering a GEO sump anyways with a Clarisea in it.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rommelboy @Eder Any updates? 2+ years later would you still recommend a Klir or would you recommend removing the filter sock plate and going with a different brand?

I had been using one since 2020 and after the post of using two in a 130.4 last August, I added a second one as well. Been running two for 16 months, currently with FW on that system. Getting the back one out at the valve is the worst part due to space. I let both run until they pull the last of the fleece off the fresh roll, usually around every 9 weeks with them working together. I take the units outside, undo the old fleece, quick hose down, get the new rolls on. I can get it done in under 10 minutes. Slight issue with a sensor but learned after the first error to take my fish towel and clean it off when I do the roll change and no issues since.

At the time, they were a good investment for me. They have done their job with no issue. To today's standards though, there are better options. If either system goes, I am converting to the Red Sea Mat 500. Cost is comparable, flow is superior, the additional sump space is a plus, and the app for roll life knocks it out of the park in my mind. I plan to convert back to salt water as a FOWLR at some point and will likely swap roller systems at that point.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using the Klir’s for almost 2 years. I can say that I would recommend a different roller. The Klir’s absolutely do the job and Coralvue’s customer service is great about a immediately sending out replacement parts. I had multiple issues with the sensors and controllers. The clearance in the Waterbox cabinet is low. Getting up and out always takes some coordinated movements. Also changing out the matting was always a pain in the butt. If I did not already have a fully established tank going and risk an accident breaking glass in the sump. I would have removed the glass and plates plumbing in a Clarisea.
I ended up ordering a GEO sump anyways with a Clarisea in it.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate you sharing.

Back