RollerMat with different fleece...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if it is possible to use the RollerMat with a different fleece roll?

Would like to use a higher density fleece - 100 micron instead of the Red Sea 200 micron.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I assume you would use the fleece a little faster - as it would catch more material out of the water.

But your tank water would be clearer - and so would your sump.

I just don't know if there is any other manufacturer's fleece roller that would fit on the ReefMat - or are they pretty standard size...?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I assume you would use the fleece a little faster - as it would catch more material out of the water.

But your tank water would be clearer - and so would your sump.

I just don't know if there is any other manufacturer's fleece roller that would fit on the ReefMat - or are they pretty standard size...?
That I don't know.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AquaMaxx 170 fleece roller which is about 50 microns (I think most brands are). But I use Red Sea because it is 200 microns. Between the Fleece roller and my skimmer it will pull too many nutrients out of the water if I don't use a 200

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea didn't play nice like the majority of the fleece makers, theirs is all metric sizing and metric width of fleece.

You can use cooling paper, but that's a rabbit hole you need to research on your own as it's NOT plug and play and I don't know personally how'd it go with the red sea.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metric is the standard measurement outside of the US...
I'm more than aware of that...

End game is that if the op wants another fleece option, it's going to be custom cut width and not plug and play due to the non standard setup that red sea chose to implement.

I use a few different bubble magus filter rollers (small) I can use any media that measures 4" across (klir, aquamaxx, clarisea) are all compatible and tested. I use coolant paper instead, it's a reasonably cheaper option for me and I'm willing to do the extra footwork needed to make it work.

Red sea roller mat users can't do the same as the width of the 500 and 1200 machines aren't standardized to any of the other branded rollers when it comes to media width.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea ReefMat 1200 has a 6.7" wide roll...

There is a 7" wide roll that Klir makes that is 50 microns...

I wonder if that extra .3" would make a difference - or if it would fit the Red Sea 1200...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea ReefMat 1200 has a 6.7" wide roll...
There is a 7" wide roll that Klir makes that is 50 microns...
I wonder if that extra .3" would make a difference - or if it would fit the Red Sea 1200...
There's enough "wiggle" room to fit a 7" roll - just barely. It may get a little "scrunched" right on the spool itself (which is about 0.25" narrower than the width of the outer red roll holders). The only thing that I can see being an issue is that the diameter of the fleece roll seems much larger than the ReefMat fleece rolls (and the roll itself may end up being too wide to fit the ReefMat spools).

One of my suppliers carries these so I think I'll have to try it out.

Last edited:

Shark~bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

End game is that if the op wants another fleece option, it's going to be custom cut width and not plug and play due to the non standard setup that red sea chose to implement.

I use a few different bubble magus filter rollers (small) I can use any media that measures 4" across (klir, aquamaxx, clarisea) are all compatible and tested. I use coolant paper instead, it's a reasonably cheaper option for me and I'm willing to do the extra footwork needed to make it work.

Red sea roller mat users can't do the same as the width of the 500 and 1200 machines aren't standardized to any of the other branded rollers when it comes to media width.
Is the Clarisea a good fit on the bubble magus? Struggling to get new rolls for my bubble Magus right now

Shark~bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the Clarisea a good fit on the bubble magus? I’m struggling to find bubble magus rolls right now so if this is an option to use would be great

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Clarisea a good fit on the bubble magus? I’m struggling to find bubble magus rolls right now so if this is an option to use would be great
Yeah the Clarisea will go in long as you have the 'small' sized filter roller, same measurement across. Aquamaxx brand fleece is a drop in option if the sizes are the medium/large fleece.

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's enough "wiggle" room to fit a 7" roll - just barely. It may get a little "scrunched" right on the spool itself (which is about 0.25" narrower than the width of the outer red roll holders). The only thing that I can see being an issue is that the diameter of the fleece roll seems much larger than the ReefMat fleece rolls (and the roll itself may end up being too wide to fit the ReefMat spools).

Did you get this to work? I have a Reefmat 1200 and an ozone generator, and long story short I found out you really need a 50 micron filter to make use of the ozone generator from an orp standpoint.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get this to work? I have a Reefmat 1200 and an ozone generator, and long story short I found out you really need a 50 micron filter to make use of the ozone generator from an orp standpoint.
:thinking-face: Please do tell us more...
I use a 200 micron fleece because I feel a 50 pulls too many nutrients out. But in the back of my mind I have been thinking about O3

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going the "recycle" route as a slight deviation instead. So far I'm up to two recycles with no hits to nutrient levels.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wondering if you ever tried the 7" roll out? :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back