Rolling outages announced. Help me get ready.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. We got an announcement that rolling outages might affect us because of the heatwave.
I got one of these generator's at Costco in case I need to run my pumps for a while. Question I had, and pardon me cause I have never used a generator before, is can I connect my pumps and heater directly to this generator's output or do I need something in between like a GFCI extension or something else?
Other that the generator I also got a couple of battery operated pumps just in case.
I will be home to turn it on manually so not neccesarily looking for an automated redundancy system
Thanks!

IMG_20200815_111317.jpg

Last edited:

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get an extension cord long enough to run it inside to your cabinet and plug your power strip into it. Generator should be far enough away from house to keep fumes from going in. Running that thing in your garage is like sticking a hose to your tail pipe and sucking on it while your car is running.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always recommend running everything thru a surge protected powerbar. Generators have a tendency to create noisy power thus causing surges to electronics and such. Hopefully you will not have to use it though.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a really long extension cord you should also make sure you get thicker one than the normal size rated for that power. Longer cable runs lead to more heat from resistance. Thicker cable provides some safety from melting too thin cables. When i need a long cable run like that i just go to home Depot and buy it cut to size off the spool they have a big machine with tons of spools of cables in various thickness's. Just get an employee to cut it for you whatever length you need and tell him what you are doing and he'll get you a good cable thickness. Then buy a male and female plug rated for outdoor use and wire the plugs up yourself. Much cheaper than buying really long premade one and you usually can't find thicker extension cords premade.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,a 3/12 gauge extention cord will be fine agree w surge protection,best wishes ,hope it does not happen :)

U

User1

View Badges
High fire danger

This. Also higher energy demand with everyone running air conditioners. Next week is going to be more of the same.

Oh - 80 in Tahoe? Nice. I should have packed up and headed up that way for some diving.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always recommend running everything thru a surge protected powerbar. Generators have a tendency to create noisy power thus causing surges to electronics and such. Hopefully you will not have to use it though.

Thanks. Will get a surge protected powerbar to use with this then. Thanks!

If you are getting a really long extension cord you should also make sure you get thicker one than the normal size rated for that power. Longer cable runs lead to more heat from resistance. Thicker cable provides some safety from melting too thin cables. When i need a long cable run like that i just go to home Depot and buy it cut to size off the spool they have a big machine with tons of spools of cables in various thickness's. Just get an employee to cut it for you whatever length you need and tell him what you are doing and he'll get you a good cable thickness. Then buy a male and female plug rated for outdoor use and wire the plugs up yourself. Much cheaper than buying really long premade one and you usually can't find thicker extension cords premade.

Great advice thank you. Home Depot trip later today!

Why the blackouts?

I believe the heatwave is putting strain on electrical grid and also means higher risk of fires. So SCE announced they will do rolling outages by groups. Supposedly only for 1hr so the tank should be fine, but I want to be ready just in case that 1hr turns into a few more.

Thanks all!

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back