Rookie Skimmer with AIO Question

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have only a tiny pico tank ATM, but Santa's bringing us an IM Nuvo 40 AIO for Christmas. :star-struck:

I've never used a skimmer before, and I'm considering adding a HOB skimmer, but I keep seeing that they require X-amount of clearance. Is this clearance upward, downward, toward the back, or towards the sides? My inclination is upward, but again I've never used a skimmer before.

Also, if you have an AIO, do yours need a skimmer? Do you feel they're necessary on an AIO? All opinions welcome.

Thanks! :)

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day, implementing a skimmer is up to you. I will say though, based on total water vol. your tank has, you would see a bigger impact just changing out a cup full of water every day.....having said that, HOB clearance would be a measure from back of tank to wall, (and of course height). I dont have an AIO, (some come with skimmers already built into the cambers) and TBH, I've never seen a HOB skimmer for a pico....just internal....BUT, I'm sure you can just DIY a HOB.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the IM 40 a rimless tank? I personally would never hang anything from a rimless tank.
It is rimless, yes, 8mm glass. I've used HOB filters on nano rimless tanks before, up to 10G without any issues for about 5 years. Is a skimmer that heavy? Is it likely to damage the glass?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so use an in-tank skimmer rather than a HOB. Okay, I was only looking at the HOBs.
You can still use a HOB.....its up to you...

but tons other options avail......

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck....even pick-up a used CPR (going for approx: $20)...and attach pump from your filter section chamber and return into another chamber and HOB. Ths is one I did running thru a wall to 40G tank on the other side of the wall....3 days skimming.....
IMG_1975small.jpg

IMG_1978small.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back