Room Moisture

SilkyCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
( I’ve been on the forum for a while but this is my first time posting so if I’m in the wrong forum I apologize. Just let me know where to go and I’ll move the thread over. :))

Background
I have a 300g and a 220g in the same room.
Both have canopy’s (although the 300 has strips of openings on the top) house is open with no doors between rooms (downstairs at least). Room with the tanks is carpeted.

Issue
There always seems to be a light amount of moisture on the carpet from evaporation.
A fan in the room to push the air to the rest of the house did wonders but my partner is less than enthusiastic about this answer.

Is there anything else you’ve tried that has worked in helping to control room moisture?
I’ve been contemplating a dehumidifier but they are fairly loud and electric hogs and since the house is open I’m not convinced it’ll help much.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dehumidifier is probably your only option.. I ran one for years and I’m not sure about energy consumption but the one I had was very quiet, the cost of operating one would be just a small fraction of the cost involved in setting up and maintaining your 500+ gallons of salt water.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+ 1 on the dehumidifier. You can set it on a timer so that it only runs incrementally throughout the day -- maybe when you guys aren't near it (bedtime? work?). You don't need it to run 24/7 and any should help.

On Schedule:
12:00am-5:00am
11:00am-4:00pm

OP
OP
SilkyCoral

SilkyCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Lol, I honestly didn’t think about a timer even though I use them for everything else. Now I just feel stupid :p

Any recommendations for brands? Sizes?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dehumidifier can work in this situation and they do make quiet units that are more energy efficient. The only downside to the dehumidifier in a closed space is the heat that they put out into the room. If the extra heat from the dehumidifier is too much for the room then ventilation or minimization via tops are other options to consider to reduce the moisture in the room.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a separate thread on dehumidifier recommendations to get more eyes on it, I haven’t used or owned one in 20 years and can’t even remember the brand I had.. it was just a common household unit probably made by GE or someone similar.

OP
OP
SilkyCoral

SilkyCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a separate thread on dehumidifier recommendations to get more eyes on it, I haven’t used or owned one in 20 years and can’t even remember the brand I had.. it was just a common household unit probably made by GE or someone similar.

Good point, ty

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a ceiling mounted fan simlar to a bathroom fan that vents directly outside. The one I have is very quiet and has a led light for part of the room. About 100.00 instslled. Just a thought for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back