Rose Bubble Tip

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I recently started a saltwater tank and my anenome is looking a little pale, but reacts to light very well and comes out of his hole as soon as the light is on, ammonia is .25ppm and nitrate is 0ppm this tank is about 8 months old. It has looked like this since I got it so maybe it is recovering ?

Snapchat-791202894.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome.
Nems like light. You might think about increasing the time the light is on or turning up the white a bit to see if it makes any improvement

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank at as far as salinity, pH, temperature, turn over, and what are you feeding and at what frequency? Also, what T5's do you have and how deep is your tank?

OP
OP
KentK29

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank at as far as salinity, pH, temperature, turn over, and what are you feeding and at what frequency? Also, what T5's do you have and how deep is your tank?
They are actinic bulbs salinity is .24 tempature being 28 degrees Celsius and it is 34 inches deep I get about 500 gallons an hour of filtration in a 45 gallon

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinic bulbs probably come up short when thinking about what your nem needs. You should consider a blue plus or coral plus bulb from ati

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actinic bulbs salinity is .24 tempature being 28 degrees Celsius and it is 34 inches deep I get about 500 gallons an hour of filtration in a 45 gallon
Looks like you got some great lighting advice and your setup seems great. 28 C is pretty hot. I try to keep my tank at 24-25 C. Sometimes the key is just leaving them alone to acclimate. How long ago did you get it

OP
OP
KentK29

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got some great lighting advice and your setup seems great. 28 C is pretty hot. I try to keep my tank at 24-25 C. Sometimes the key is just leaving them alone to acclimate. How long ago did you get it
I have had it for about a month now. Would you recommend dropping the tempature then ? Or just leave it and let it acclimate?

Dre3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try feeding it something. Mine loves krill and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
KentK29

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try feeding it something. Mine loves krill and mysis shrimp.
I've been feeding him a blend meant for coral from Hikari and he does love it! Closes on it as soon as it is near him

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for about a month now. Would you recommend dropping the tempature then ? Or just leave it and let it acclimate?
I might drop the temperature slowly. When you start getting into the high 20's low 30's is when they will start 'bleaching'.

For feeding, some hobbyists say to feed several times a week but anemones can very easily be overfed and the excess food will actually rot inside them causing all kinds of problems like tissue necrosis and death. If you decide to adjust the temp, wait a week and then I actually recommend getting either a tomato anemone fish or a clown fish as they will care for the anemone for you and you don't have to worry about feeding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KentK29

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might drop the temperature slowly. When you start getting into the high 20's low 30's is when they will start 'bleaching'.

For feeding, some hobbyists say to feed several times a week but anemones can very easily be overfed and the excess food will actually rot inside them causing all kinds of problems like tissue necrosis and death. If you decide to adjust the temp, wait a week and then I actually recommend getting either a tomato anemone fish or a clown fish as they will care for the anemone for you and you don't have to worry about feeding.
I have 2 clownfish but they haven't started hosting yet.

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. I don't direct feed mine at all and haven't for 3 years. Just strong light and an occasional drift of small shrimp from the frozen I feed my fish. Have also seen problems in the past from feeding too large chunks.

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clownfish but they haven't started hosting yet.
Rats, depending on the type and individual sometimes they won't. In my experience tomato anemonefish are the only sure thing fish for bubble tips, but that is just what I have seen. It is actually good that they are not hosting at this stage because a hosting fish can make a struggling 'nem worse.

Is it looking any better?

OP
OP
KentK29

KentK29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rats, depending on the type and individual sometimes they won't. In my experience tomato anemonefish are the only sure thing fish for bubble tips, but that is just what I have seen. It is actually good that they are not hosting at this stage because a hosting fish can make a struggling 'nem worse.

Is it looking any better?
I think it was heat cause it's looking a lot better! Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back