RosehipScapes' Macro Rockpool 125L

RosehipScapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from the UK!

After 2 years keeping planted aquariums, in early summer I set up my first marine tank - an 8G bowl with mostly macroalgae. I really loved it, but I could hardly see anything through the curvature of the glass, so 2 months in, when I saw a perfectly-sized pile of cheap 20-year local liverock on ebay locally I jumped at it.

img_0186-jpg.195965

For over a year I've had this secondhand optiwhite tank and the filter in the shed, planned to be freshwater scapes that I never got around to, but I think this size works perfectly for marine and the sorts of tanks I love. Very useful that it happened to be the exact right size for that liverock...

100cm L x 40cm D x 30cm H - approx 125L (or 39.3in L x 15.7inch D x 11.8in H - approx 27.5G)

The filter is an Oase Biomaster Thermo 600 & I also have 2 small wave makers on the tank.
The light is currently a freshwater Twinstar 900, though I hope to change that to 3 AI Primes (2 fresh, 1 marine) to bring some of the colours out.

My aim is to make it feel a bit like rockpools in Devon, UK when I was a kid, with lots of seaweed and tiny creatures. Along with the macro algae, I've got a selection of cheap soft corals. I like to go with an ecosysytem plant-heavy method in my freshwater aquariums, and so far this seems to work well with marine too!

____________________________________________________________________​

When I got the rock it looked like this, covered in cyano and aiptasia. I got it from a retiring reef-keeper couple in their mid-80s, so not surprised that maintenance was difficult for them when the tank was 3 foot high! With the shallow depth of this tank it's super easy to maintain. It has yellow sponges and tiny clams and tiny invasive corals (apparently, it's pretty though) and bubble algae (apparently fine in macro tanks?) and kenya trees and mushrooms and all sorts, so I'm very pleased.

IMG_0090_smaller.jpg

img_0159_smaller-jpg.194286

After about 2 months, it looks like this. Cyano only in the front right corner (that was a battle), and aptasia seemingly gone (got 3 true peppermints in there cos I'm sure it's lurking). Note I was doing maintenance today so some corals are a bit inner than usual. So far really really enjoying it!

img_0286_1500-jpg.195806

img_0308_1500-jpg.195813

img_0292_1500-jpg.195811

img_0320_1500-jpg.195809

img_0286_1500-jpg.195814

img_0335_1500-jpg.195808

I'm quite happy with it now, just want a nice long polyp toadstool as my main big coral, and need a lid & to install UV so I can add more fish. My only fish in there atm is a barnacle blenny from my nano bowl, 1 inch of fish for 39inches of tank!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the micro algae, I’ve tried to add it to my large system a couple of times, just with the hope the tangs didn’t eat it. But inevitably they did so…..

It looks beautiful

OP
OP
RosehipScapes

RosehipScapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the micro algae, I’ve tried to add it to my large system a couple of times, just with the hope the tangs didn’t eat it. But inevitably they did so…..

It looks beautiful
Thanks! I've had to avoid some lovely creatures as they eat the macroalgae :') Had to get rid fo a small money cowrie 2 months ago cos it ate 3 species of really nice stuff.

OP
OP
RosehipScapes

RosehipScapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated this tank in ages, been battling dinos (and mostly winning!) and dodgy zoas. Other than that, it's all been really great and the tank is completely hypnotic. The last thing I need should come within two weeks, a proper glass lid.

IMG_0534_smaller.jpg

Zoas and gsp started to die in late October, so I decided to take the plunge and change my lights from a freshwater Twinstar light. I now have 2 reef AI primes, and 1 freshwater AI prime together. It makes a gradient of light that looks really cool, and everything recovered and is growing well now. I took these photos in the early evening when the light changes to more blue, so the gradient above is more extreme than the lighting during the day (it gets more blue in the evening)

To battle the dinos (which came from my underestimating how much nitrate and phosphate the macros needed) I lowered the light duration and strength, installed UV (actually needed this anyway for my fish), massively upped my ferts so nitrate is between 20ppm and 40ppm, dosed a bottle of Dr Tim's marine bacteria, and dosed extra phytoplankton and copepods plus fed more food. Finally, I syphoned out the dinos through a sieve of filter floss before the lights went off every other evening for 2 weeks when they were at their height, which seemed to really help kick them back after a few days. They are almost gone now, and luckily no creatures were killed, huzzah!

IMG_0428_smaller.jpg
Don't worry, the asterina didn't eat any zoas!!
I've now completely 100% fallen in love with the amazing creatures on offer. The creatures of the sea are simply wonderful. They possess a magic, complexity and amusing intelligence which has bewitched me and totally lured me away from freshwater. I have to admit, I have fully indulged and been buying fabulous small creatures left right and centre, but I did have a very stressful Autumn so it was totally necessary. You know how it is... life gives you lemons, so you go and buy a creature or two to make yourself feel better about it before making some lemonade. So here's a load of lovely creatures I've acquired who all seem to be doing really well :)

IMG_0497_smaller.jpg

IMG_0414_smaller.jpg

IMG_0509_smaller.jpg

IMG_0484_smaller.jpg

IMG_0581_smaller.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0552_smaller.jpg
    IMG_0552_smaller.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 24

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back