Ross B Reef'n 170 Gallon & Fishroom Megabuild

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made and installed the concealed air return and lid. Getting late, so I'm postponing the hydraulics until tomorrow.

20190601_202522.jpg

Looking great.
Nice workmanship.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple days off, but I'm back at it!

Started rough framing the fish room. Need to run to lowes to buy a door to determine the exact rough opening size I need. Also need to determine what size drain pipe I want to use for the automatic water change and self cleaning systems. This will determine how far off the wall the first stud needs to be, and where the door lands.

20190604_211709.jpg

20190608_134857.jpg

20190608_134919.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much space, I would double the size of the fish room.
Ha

Would have! But I had to make some compromises with my wife. Our garage has been a woodshop for the past 8 months, building things like this table:

20190609_072752.jpg

20190609_073009.jpg

I have a ton of tools, and I promised to leave enough room for her to park in the garage. It'll be compact, but I made sure there's room for everything the system needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exterior drywall on the fish room up! Also moved the garage light out of the fish room. Going to run new wire to the old box so the fish room light is independent of the garage lights. Also ran the HVAC to the fish room and rough electrical. There will only be electrical on the exterior wall to separate all electrical and plumbing. A raceway around the top of the fish room will be used to bring all electrical to one central location with two indepent circuits to divide the total electrical load.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical is in! There's actually three separate circuits on the exterior wall. Two for the aquarium system, and one for the workbench going on the outside of the fish room. For the fish room, one circuit is dedicated for lights and heaters, and the other is for everything else.

20190614_101648.jpg

Also added a new run for the fish room light, so its independent of the garage lights.

20190614_101714.jpg

I know the light switch is a little high, but that's where the quarantine tanks will be. So I have to live with a higher than normal light switch, no big deal.

Interior drywall has also been roughed in

20190615_160601.jpg

I need to pull down one piece of drywall to insulate an exterior corner, and then it's time to get muddy. Will also be finishing the sides of the aquarium on the fish room side today. Additional drywall needs to be cut away for nearly full access to the sides of the aquarium. This will be handy if I decide to run two powerheads on each side of the tank.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are progressing well.
Looking great.

Will there be air extraction as well?

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are progressing well.
Looking great.

Will there be air extraction as well?

Thank you :)

Eagerly trying to get to plumbing.

The air return is part of the lid/canopy.
20190616_210745.jpg

The air flows into the fish room, then up and over the aquarium and lights and back into the rest of the home.

This is a pic of the lid open
20190604_211539.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sick last week, so there was a little slowdown on tank progress. By the weekend I was feeling better, and managed to get some work done! the fish room now has a level 4 drywall finish, and Natalie did a great job painting the front.

20190623_194029.jpg

20190623_194038.jpg

20190623_194352.jpg

The paint on the front cover plywood didn't look so great, so a layer of mud was slapped on top of it. Unfortunately this made the top lid/cover too heavy for the gas struts to hold open. Hopefully the mud will lose some weight when it dries and the lid will stay open again.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an incredible build! Loving the look and functionality of the whole thing, not to mention the actual building (stand, ramp, an entire room, etc.) you're capable of. It boggles my mind seeing construction progress.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an incredible build! Loving the look and functionality of the whole thing, not to mention the actual building (stand, ramp, an entire room, etc.) you're capable of. It boggles my mind seeing construction progress.

Thank you so much! I started in construction, flipping houses, when I was 14. It's awesome to finally have my own home and put this knowledge toward something I truly enjoy, for me and my family.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I started in construction, flipping houses, when I was 14. It's awesome to finally have my own home and put this knowledge toward something I truly enjoy, for me and my family.

Very cool. A friend and fellow reefer I met through work used to own his own construction company, so his tank was very DIY and has a lot of purpose-built parts and features. Not a nicely finished as yours is, but reminded me of it all. Out of curiosity, are you an electrician? I ask since it looks like you're doing a decent amount of electrical work and I wonder when inspections/permits need to come into play for a build like this, if at all.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Side access.” “Air return.” “Independent fish room lighting.” “Winch.” I’ve seen quite a lot since joining R2R about a year ago, but you are a Madman! In a GOOD way!! So meticulously thought out, and so competently executed! Beautiful job, and I will continue to watch this inspiring tank built right through the water and fish. Congratulations... :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back