Rotifers,Brine Shrimp.... Copepods

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly new to reef tanks and am curious about these. i have heard they are a good food source.... then i hear they are mainly for breeding and feeding the fry.... which is it? both? neither?

Should i bother? i think it would be nice to grow some food for the animals i will get in the future. ...

thoughts? ideas?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it depends on what youre using them for. Most people here agree brine has little nutrients and is more of a treat and most people use mysis. Copepods generally are a food source for diet specific fish like mandarin gobies however other canivourous fish will eat them. Rotifers are super popular for feeding babies and coral

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having corals and fish. just kinda exploring what would be good food sources.... i understand it wouldnt or couldnt be the only source.... but if its beneficial id enjoy doing it... and if it is beneficial.... in what ways?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also hatch brine a few times per week to broadcast feed my tank and like that it gives me the ability to feed my fish and corals a lot without having to worry about decaying food settling in dead zones in the rock or on the sand-bed. Rotifers are a great food source for corals with smaller mouths (especially stony corals) but maintaining stable rotifer cultures can be a lot of work and may not be worth it. Frozen or refrigerated liquid rotifers are much less of a hassle if you're just starting out IMO.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly new to reef tanks and am curious about these. i have heard they are a good food source.... then i hear they are mainly for breeding and feeding the fry.... which is it? both? neither?

Should i bother? i think it would be nice to grow some food for the animals i will get in the future. ...

thoughts? ideas?
When I culture rotifers
I use this

Screenshot_2018-11-05-21-45-33-1.png

fastgoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marcom12, I'm headed in the same route... I've been using baby brine shrimp as it's cheap and super nutritional, and it's been working out pretty well, I but was curious what you ended up picking?

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of live foods. Also check out PaulBs stuff on white worms. Baby brine is super easy to hatch. Rotifers can also be very easy. If you crash the culture just drain it to 3-4 inches from the bottom and refill. It will just start again. Pods are a bit more effort to use as a consistent food source. If you live along the pacific coast (north of central ca) tigger pods (T cali) are easy to raise in your yard in a bucket. Heat can wipe them out.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back