Rotifers so I thought ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter juboy27
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

juboy27

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
18
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i had 3 tubs of rotifers about 5 months ago. I was so busy with work thay just died off.
A month ago I put phytoplankton in one of the tubs and left it to see if anything would come back. Today I looked in the tub and there are minions of what I thought was rotifers. But these are smaller and they go straight through my rotifer strainer.
They look to be a golden colour. Can anyone give me any idea as to what thay are ?
 
Hi i had 3 tubs of rotifers about 5 months ago. I was so busy with work thay just died off.
A month ago I put phytoplankton in one of the tubs and left it to see if anything would come back. Today I looked in the tub and there are minions of what I thought was rotifers. But these are smaller and they go straight through my rotifer strainer.
They look to be a golden colour. Can anyone give me any idea as to what thay are ?

I'm willing to bet what you are seeing is a small ciliate called Euplotes sp. They are THE most common contaminant in aquaculture. They are smaller than rotifers, so it's no surprise that they are getting through your screen. They can be a real pain, so I suggest you bleach everything and order some clean rotifers when you are ready. I will attach a picture of the organism in question so that you can confirm.
 
upload_2017-1-10_11-16-52.jpeg


Found this image here: http://www.microscope-microscope.org/gallery/Mark-Simmons/pages/euplotes2.htm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new