Round two D3100 versus Blue LEDs

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i used Cbort's advice and used these settings for my D3100

Guide Mode-->Shoot-->Advanced Operation-->Bring More into focus-->F14-->More Settings-->Next-->Flash Mode-->Slow Sync + red-eye-->ISO Sensitivity-->1600.

They still didnt overall look didnt thrill me and after a few dozen i gave up...but then i started messing with contrast and brightness. Seemed to pull the proper colors better...by the way this was not PS but just a simple contrast/brightness change as i was saving the pics.

What you think?? Also please please if any D3100 users have any tips i need them!!

dsc0730copy.jpg

dsc0733copy.jpg

dsc0728copy.jpg

dsc0734copy.jpg

Tried the FTS but it was way too bright even before adjustment
dsc0725copy.jpg

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh...oh...oh...

subscribed.. i'm hoping to get a D3100 soon...

try this.. its from 2Sunny's Cube thread and he has awesome pics..

Picked up a lot of info cruising Photography forums in general and here's a synopsis of what I do:

1) Digital SLR with full manual (mines a Canon Rebel T1i)
2) Macro lense 60mm to 100mm (mines a Canon 100mm got it used at half price on eBay!)
3) tripod
4) really, really, really clean the tank and water and run carbon for a day then clean the glass again
5) when possible position the camera perpendicular to the glass
6) best shots will be with an f-stop above 9 like 9,11,13
7) shutter speed will be anywhere from 1/10 to 1/50 with these f-stops
8) ISO-100 or 200
9) photos taken in RAW which requires a special conversion program to read
10) cover all outside light sources or take photos at night with only tank lights
11) Use white balance to correct for actinic dominant lights
12) For moving targets I stop down to 5 at the lowest with 1/100 on the shutter and ISO 400 but these are never quite as crisp for me yet.
13) A "look down box" allows for some added cool photos 'cuz you can put the lense straight above.
14) Use Photoshop Elements or similar to crop, resize, and convert to jpeg.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with a Nikon. I use a Canon XTi but here are the settings I use. I shoot in AV mode.and set the WB to auto and ISO to 200. I always shoot both RAW files. So I have to use a photoshop program to convert them to Jpeg. When you shoot Jpeg it automatically processes the pictures and I think that is some of the problems you are having. here are a few I just took with the above settings

LBAactinic.jpg

RHactinic.jpg

Tyreeredactinic.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave - Thanks for the tip...i will look into the Raw file thing. Hope it is as simple as that! Pics look great btw!!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust your white balance. I'm not sure how you do it on a D3100, but on my D90, it has a button on the back that you push and then move the rear scroll wheel to adjust it. Also look in your manual for auto white balance.

CJ

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAW will help, but you will have to adjust it using the software on your computer rather than having the camera do it. It also might be the only real way of getting a good picture under all blue LEDs.

CJ

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with a Nikon. I use a Canon XTi but here are the settings I use. I shoot in AV mode.and set the WB to auto and ISO to 200. I always shoot both RAW files. So I have to use a photoshop program to convert them to Jpeg. When you shoot Jpeg it automatically processes the pictures and I think that is some of the problems you are having. here are a few I just took with the above settings

whats AV mode?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 119 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back