Router & Table for Tank Building

Nick4978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to purchase 4'x8' sheets of acrylic to make things like sumps, ATO boxes, breeder tanks, etc. could/should I use a router table similar to the "Ryobi Universal Router Table-A25RT03", would it work? I was thinking about building them with a table saw, but afterwards, I would have to do a lot of sanding/polishing in order to make each cut edge smooth enough to weld it to the other panels. From what I've read, using a router with the correct bit, I can make straight-line cuts without the need to do as much (or any) sanding in order for the weld to work. My concern is would it be possible to use that kind of table and that sized table to make sumps or ATO boxes that can be 2 to 4 feet long?

Thanks.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly use it. For such large cuts it may be a bit small. But if you can keep the piece straight it will be fine. You may want to bolt it to a table or bench but it should work.

I would love this table and may be getting it now that I’ve seen it and its cost. As I am usually making smaller items. That being said, the job would be way easier with a larger table. 32”x32” not bad.

Last thing, I don’t think you want to sand the edges if you are routing it. The router leaves a really clean cut. And the weld wants it to be as smooth as possible without being polished.

There’s a good video by a company called TAP plastics on YouTube about the welding process (they sell acrylic and cement bonding supplies) and they said you can sand if you are cutting with a table saw, but a routed edge is preferred.

The sandpaper would just scrape up the edge and it would make less contact after being routed. The more contact the better because the cement is super thin like water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back