Routing Cables and light mounts for DIY Screen covers?

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the screen covers over the weekend, a pain in the butt but they work. I had to do an opening on 2 of the 3 screens to make accommodations for my return that went up over the back into the overflows as seen in the photo. The middle section is just a regular square. That being said, what is the best way to notch the screen frame for cords? what about light mounts? I am still undecided on which lights or ultimately hanging method (this stand has a metal canopy but I dont know if I want to use it).

I could just drill a hole or cut out a section on the side rail for cords, which currently is only one icecap on one side, but I know I will be running at least 1 gyre on each side. My concern is that If I just cut a notch in the side that the metal will A) rust faster as its now exposed (yes I know that the frame is not completely sealed nor saltwater resistant)
B) that the sharp edge will cut the cable. What kind of grommet or other material have you used in this application?

IMG_2433.jpg

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that frame you have a regular screen frame like from the hardware store or do you know what material it is? This is not from personal experience, but I'll throw out some ideas. If it is steel you'll probably want to be extra, extra, extra sure you re-coat any of the surfaces you cut as you noted above, one way could be to put your notch in, then paint the exposed areas as best you can, and then cover it all in an epoxy, like maybe one of those epoxy putty sticks that you squeeze together with your hands to mix, i can find a link to one if you dont know what i mean. Then you can form it into the shape you want which would address the wire damage concern by covering up the sharp edges, plus a second layer of protection against corrosion.

If you have or have access to a 3D printer i'd probably model up a U shaped piece and use that instead of the epoxy. Similar thought on that, paint the exposed metal, then glue/epoxy the u-shaped inserts. If you have dimensions i could send you a model, or even just sketch up what i'm thinking if that would help.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it aluminum screen frame from lowes. The 3d printed idea and then epoxy is a good idea. Will look into that a bit! Thanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had the same issues, just made the cover 1/2" short for cables on one side. I did do a screen jog for apex probes on the other.

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few pictures of what a printed one could look like. Could put some material over the bottom(like i have shown on the top) as well depending on how much you need for whatever its sitting on, like so it clears the surface its sitting on but still provides from protection down there.

1603844811333.png

1603844910532.png

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few pictures of what a printed one could look like. Could put some material over the bottom(like i have shown on the top) as well depending on how much you need for whatever its sitting on, like so it clears the surface its sitting on but still provides from protection down there.

1603844811333.png

1603844910532.png
Thanks for that!! Im still debating on how to cut it out.... Drill, jig saw, router....not sure yet. But thanks

Back