Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Code aside.

How so?

The connections "inside the wall" are the same you see in every outlet/switch box in your house or every house in the US for that matter. It's not just hanging inside the wall.
I’ve run electrical cable in my crawlspace and put in new outlets, etc. The cable for the lights are probably of higher quality than electrical cable. So in that sense let’s just call it even.

To install that device, gotta strip and connect wire, certainly not dangerous, but in my mind, an intact wire without any connections is marginally “safer” than one with.

either way, I would say both are, in the real world, equally safe, code aside. Would you agree?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ve run electrical cable in my crawlspace and put in new outlets, etc. The cable for the lights are probably of higher quality than electrical cable. So in that sense let’s just call it even.

To install that device, gotta strip and connect wire, certainly not dangerous, but in my mind, an intact wire without any connections is marginally “safer” than one with.

either way, I would say both are, in the real world, equally safe, code aside. Would you agree?

Strictly in a sense than a continuous cable is better than spliced one, yes.

-but-

Problem is these cables aren't designed to be left exposed inside the wall cavity, just like other cables aren't designed to be left in the sun, others can't be burried and yet others release toxic fumes when burning in the fire, etc, etc.

Here in NYC for example, code requires metal-clad (BX) cable that cannot be chewed through by rodents. Running a high voltage rubber coated cable inside the wall cavity can expose it to these lovely critters that love stripping the insulation and leaving the conductors exposed.

That said, while the choice is clear it is entirely yours.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-but-

Problem is these cables aren't designed to be left exposed inside the wall cavity, just like other cables aren't designed to be left in the sun, others can't be burried and yet others release toxic fumes when burning in the fire, etc, etc.

Here in NYC for example, code requires metal-clad (BX) cable that cannot be chewed through by rodents. Running a high voltage rubber coated cable inside the wall cavity can expose it to these lovely critters that love stripping the insulation and leaving the conductors exposed.

If you’re gonna run special wire between those boxes, or run it in a metal conduit then yes, I can see how that’s safer. But the original description of an extension cord, or the diagram showing regular electrical wire, I don’t think that’s any safer than what I did.

Where I live, there’s no code that we need to use those metallic shielded wires or that they run in conduit. I see regular wire running all around the crawlspace and under the drywall.

Not sure if it’s safer, but would my setup be less wattage running in the walls because it’s after the DC power brick?

anyways, I didn’t think it completely through when I did it. I just did it. Probably won’t take it back...but good for everyone else to think about before doing it.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i rewired my house in the 80's we pulled out a lot of what my electrician buddy refered to as "rat poison romex" ...an early non metallic cable that was treated with something toxic to keep them from chewing on it...no idea if it was equally toxic to the electricians handling it but most bright ideas from the 50's were...i can see nyc giving up and just going back to bx...but wherever you live non metallic is probably the norm...but back to the original issue...when i hung my tv i put the outlet behind it and used the brush plates for the hdmi cables and speaker cables...the hdmi cables had to be specially rated for in wall use...evidently the main issue is heat as something stuffed into a wall (epecially an insulated one) will run a lot hotter and it also needs a more abrasion resistant covering...same reason electrical code doesnt want houses wired with lamp cord....so if whatever you're using is "in wall " rated you're good

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

-but-

@Gablami,

You took the diagram provided by the company that makes the inlet too literally.

It's NOT a regular extension cord inside the wall.

Perhaps a cleaned up version would help.

1597848260403.png

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So running the lights power cord down inside the wall like a TV is violating Code? I was going to do something similar only the lights power cables would go through a partition wall out the other side and into plugs on the other side. I mean the look or lack of cables is the goal, like goblami did, man that looks fantastic!! Of course i don't want to give my homeowners insurance an easy out or burn my place down but surely that is a very commonplace thing with tvs and stuff.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something to keep in mind that I don't believe has been mentioned. If you run improper electrical through a wall and that does not meet your City code, then if there is a fire your home owner insurance policy may not cover the damages.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back