Routing power cords behind wall?

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why I wouldnt be able to route my light fixture power cables behind the wall and down to outlets behind the stand using brush wall plates such as these?
VCE Single Brush Wall Plate Cable Pass Through Insert for Wires, Single Gang Cable Access Strap, Wall Socket for HDTV, Home Theater Systems - White (2-Pack)

I don’t see many people doing this and it makes me curious as to why.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by power cables and what type of lights? If you are running LED’s and you are talking about the cable from the transformer to the fixture, it may be OK. If you are running a power cable to metal halides, probably not as they aren’t rated for inside wall cavities.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by power cables and what type of lights? If you are running LED’s and you are talking about the cable from the transformer to the fixture, it may be OK. If you are running a power cable to metal halides, probably not as they aren’t rated for inside wall cavities.

aquatic life t5 hybrid 61 with 3 Radion xr30 blues.?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquatic life t5 hybrid 61 with 3 Radion xr30 blues.?

As has already been mentioned, the building codes for most states require power cables in walls to be rated for in wall construction and often even require that they be in metal conduit to protect from mice chewing through the outer covering. The plates you link mention using them for things like audio and hdmi cables (and not power) for a reason.

I would definitely not run the power cables for the T5 in the wall and if those are going to be exposed, I don’t know why you‘d do the radions.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has already been mentioned, the building codes for most states require power cables in walls to be rated for in wall construction and often even require that they be in metal conduit to protect from mice chewing through the outer covering. The plates you link mention using them for things like audio and hdmi cables (and not power) for a reason.

I would definitely not run the power cables for the T5 in the wall and if those are going to be exposed, I don’t know why you‘d do the radions.

Not sure what you mean you don’t know why I would do the radions...

nudave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not run romex from the outlet at floor level up to another outlet at the height you choose? Works well - especially for hang on wall TV's, dont see why it wouldn't work well in this scenario.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not run romex from the outlet at floor level up to another outlet at the height you choose? Works well - especially for hang on wall TV's, dont see why it wouldn't work well in this scenario.

Makes sense. I could do that with the radions. The t5s need to go the to apex

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Code does not allow you to run your cable inside the wall cavity. Somebody mentioned romex, you can use that if your municipality allows it or a bx. You can use and inlet at the stand level and plug the light at the light level with an in-wall cable between the two. You can still keep your controller connectivity this way.

This is what you need for the inlet side behind the stand for each of the light you want to control. Outlet on the other side.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Code does not allow you to run your cable inside the wall cavity. Somebody mentioned romex, you can use that if your municipality allows it or a bx. You can use and inlet at the stand level and plug the light at the light level with an in-wall cable between the two. You can still keep your controller connectivity this way.

This is what you need for the inlet side behind the stand for each of the light you want to control. Outlet on the other side.

Wow.. I feel like you’re speaking Spanish here. May be the beer.. or maybe I’m just stupid lol. Any way you could dumb that down for me? I’m not sure how what you linked even works!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow.. I feel like you’re speaking Spanish here. May be the beer.. or maybe I’m just stupid lol. Any way you could dumb that down for me? I’m not sure how what you linked even works!

So, in order to run your line inside the wall you need an inlet and outlet connected with romes or bx inside the wall.

Inlet is somewhere close to your controller and outlet is somewhere close to your hanging lights.

You connect from apex (or any other controller you have) using a computer type wire or extension cord (depending on the model of inlet you buy) to inlet and your lights on the other side to the outlet. It's simple, most people use this very setup for hanging TV on a wall.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in order to run your line inside the wall you need an inlet and outlet connected with romes or bx inside the wall.

Inlet is somewhere close to your controller and outlet is somewhere close to your hanging lights.

You connect from apex (or any other controller you have) using a computer type wire or extension cord (depending on the model of inlet you buy) to inlet and your lights on the other side to the outlet. It's simple, most people use this very setup for hanging TV on a wall.

That makes sense! Thank you. “Computer type wire” is what did it for me. Appreciate the input and link.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,romex would just be like running wire through wall,if anything bx armored cable, easy to run piece of rigid emt from box below to new box /outlet,minimize hole in wall can use coupler's and emt in sections,safest way in my opinion :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, so I took couple of pictures for you to give you an idea.

Here are 2 types on inlets. You connect either a standard computer cable to one or a short (or long) extension cord to the other. Inside the wall between this and the outlet at a light level you run a BX cable. It's all to code then.

Hope this helps and not just you.

1596463000860.png

1596463031032.png

1596463048618.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I found this in one of my folders, perhaps that makes it crystal clear.

1597777919602.png

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why I wouldnt be able to route my light fixture power cables behind the wall and down to outlets behind the stand using brush wall plates such as these?
VCE Single Brush Wall Plate Cable Pass Through Insert for Wires, Single Gang Cable Access Strap, Wall Socket for HDTV, Home Theater Systems - White (2-Pack)

I don’t see many people doing this and it makes me curious as to why.

I did exactly that with my light fixture:
See post 10 on my build thread.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I did exactly that with my light fixture:
See post 10 on my build thread.

Except unless the cables going through the wall cavity are low voltage your installation is against code which could be problematic with insurance co if there are problems; not to mention occupant's safety for which the code was designed for.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except unless the cables going through the wall cavity are low voltage your installation is against code which could be problematic with insurance co if there are problems; not to mention occupant's safety for which the code was designed for.
Honestly think that running cables behind the wall the way I did is safer than the diagram/device that you present. No connections in the wall. Just cables with slack at each end.

But you’re right, violates code. Cant argue there.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Honestly think that running cables behind the wall the way I did is safer than the diagram/device that you present. No connections in the wall. Just cables with slack at each end.

But you’re right, violates code. Cant argue there.

Code aside.

How so?

The connections "inside the wall" are the same you see in every outlet/switch box in your house or every house in the US for that matter. It's not just hanging inside the wall.

Back