Rowaphos in DT - cloudy water

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water change and a little sump cleaning on Monday. The next day the water was a little cloudy, but I figured that was due to me stirring things up. The water has not cleared up, and today I noticed that the Rowaphos level in my BRS reactor is a bit lower and it is swirling around more than it was prior to my maintenance. I may have somehow bumped the valve or something, increasing flow and pushing maybe a 1/4 cup or so of Rowaphos into the sump and tank. I have since shut off the reactor and replaced one of my mesh socks with a felt one. Is there something else I should do to remove the cloudiness? Note that the fish and corals don't really seem to be affected.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen “cloudy” water from
Disruption or spilling of Rowa

If you said there were black spots on the sand and floating around the yank I’d think Rowa, but cloudy sound different

Maybe you had a bacteria bloom after messing with everything?

How old is the tank, is it stable otherwise?

I’d run some carbon and see what happens

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen “cloudy” water from
Disruption or spilling of Rowa

If you said there were black spots on the sand and floating around the yank I’d think Rowa, but cloudy sound different

Maybe you had a bacteria bloom after messing with everything?

How old is the tank, is it stable otherwise?

I’d run some carbon and see what happens
Tank is about 20 years old. Hazy may be a better term than cloudy. It is definitely not as clear as it was prior to my maintenance. I don’t see any spots on the sand or floating in the water, but there is a fine layer of something in the sump. I’ll toss in some carbon and see what happens.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fine layer in the sump, and the stuff in the mesh sock I took out earlier today, definitely has a rust-colored look to it. I didn't put in new carbon yet (there is a bag in there from a few weeks ago), but the felt sock must be working well as it already appears to be clearing up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back