Royal Gramma, Dottybacks and Other Small Fish

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've already finalized my fish stock for the large fish (angels and tangs), and suddenly had an idea of adding smaller fish like dottybacks, anthias, and blennies. I already have a pair of clowns. I have an 8'x2'x2' tank and would like to add the following fish:
1 Neon Dottyback
1 Royal Gramma
1 Midas Blenny
Barlett's anthias (don't know how many it should be)

Current stocklist include: Annularis Angel, Mustard Tang, PBT, PT, HYT, BT, Majestic foxface, Clown pair, Scribbled Angel (QT), Flame Angel (QT), Multicolor Angel (QT), Potter's Angel (QT), Juvenile blue/townsend Angel (QT)

Would there be aggression issues among the smaller fish?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've already finalized my fish stock for the large fish (angels and tangs), and suddenly had an idea of adding smaller fish like dottybacks, anthias, and blennies. I already have a pair of clowns. I have an 8'x2'x2' tank and would like to add the following fish:
1 Neon Dottyback
1 Royal Gramma
1 Midas Blenny
Barlett's anthias (don't know how many it should be)

Current stocklist include: Annularis Angel, Mustard Tang, PBT, PT, HYT, BT, Majestic foxface, Clown pair, Scribbled Angel (QT), Flame Angel (QT), Multicolor Angel (QT), Potter's Angel (QT), Juvenile blue/townsend Angel (QT)

Would there be aggression issues among the smaller fish?
A scribbled angel and annularis angel would happily eat a gramma or dottyback if they were large enough to do so. Large angels can be viscous. Often a dotty or gramma could remain hidden from, however. I don't keep Anthias but I know they can be fragile with aggressive large angels. A blenny will need to be large for the same reason as the dotty or gramma. Don't keep dotty and gramma together, not typically a good combination.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me correctly, the blenny has venomous fangs to bite the inside of predators' mouths. If so, it should be fine. I agree with the others being left out though. Your other fish are simply too big and will bully or eat them.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me correctly, the blenny has venomous fangs to bite the inside of predators' mouths. If so, it should be fine. I agree with the others being left out though. Your other fish are simply too big and will bully or eat them.

Not a Midas.... but Canary and others yes.... but, they could be injured enough to not be able to make it, just not eaten.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now you have 14 fish. Thats 1 fish per 15 gallons. You will prob see some aggression with what you have. I would avoid adding any more.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Midas.... but Canary and others yes.... but, they could be injured enough to not be able to make it, just not eaten.

Thanks I still get my Blennies mixed up from time to time. You are correct though that it could still be injured.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A scribbled angel and annularis angel would happily eat a gramma or dottyback if they were large enough to do so. Large angels can be viscous. Often a dotty or gramma could remain hidden from, however. I don't keep Anthias but I know they can be fragile with aggressive large angels. A blenny will need to be large for the same reason as the dotty or gramma. Don't keep dotty and gramma together, not typically a good combination.

Wow, I never knew angels could have these small fish for dinner. I guess I won't be buying any more small fish. Guess you learn something new everyday!

P.S. Happy new year everyone!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish should be fine to add.

The angels would have to be full grown, the new fish tiny, and angels are not effective fish hunters.

In that size tank you could add a pretty large group of bartletts

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back