RSK600 Upgrade?

Outatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

I was considering getting the DC upgrade for my RSK600 skimmer but then discovered it needs that controller thats another $150 on top of the $180 for the upgrade. The upgrade does sound nice but then thought I might as well buy another skimmer as I am starting to get up there in cost. Its for a Waterbox 130.4 mixed reef. Any recommendations, are there any skimmers with the capabilities that the RSK600 with the upgrade has? The only other Red sea item I have on that tank is the reefmat1200!

Thank you

STu

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something wrong with your rsk? Do you believe the upgrade or a different skimmer entirely will work better or more efficient? I’m just curious is all

OP
OP
O

Outatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I like it auto levels and also when I turn off my return pump my one currently over fills and dumps waste into the Refugium which I think killed my elligance coral :-(. Happened when I had a power cut in the middle of the night.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that a DC pump for a skimmer is useless. Unless something changes in the water chemistry where the skimmer is going nuts like using epoxy to glue frags. Then I can turn down my pump speed.

you can buy a skimmate collector with a auto shut off to prevent your skimmer from flooding.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I like it auto levels and also when I turn off my return pump my one currently over fills and dumps waste into the Refugium which I think killed my elligance coral :-(. Happened when I had a power cut in the middle of the night.
Gotcha, i bought a cheap Amazon dual float sensor, drilled a hole in the lid and wired it to my controller. The first float notifies me to empty the skimmer and the second shuts it off before it overfills. If you don’t have a controller people seem to like those kasa Wi-Fi outlets. You could plug your return pump and skimmer into them and set them to both turn off at the same time so you don’t have an overflow but that wouldn’t shut off the skimmer if it was full. Just thinking outside the box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back