RSM E260 Water Height / Noise Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my RSM e260, got it all filled, turned on skimmer and pumps. Everything is running well at first. I initially filled it to the point that I didnt hear any water falling from the overflow. I looked in the rear and noticed the water level is above all of the baffles. I consulted the manual to find the recommended level, and I then dropped the water level to where it said. The water noise coming from the overflow into the 1st chamber is so loud, I know it's not right. There is no way Red Sea designed it to be this loud. I raised the water level back up to get rid of the loud falling/splashing. Of course the skimmer didnt like this but I was able to use the air valve and get it tuned so that it quit going nuts.

Is there something I missed or am missing in general? The only thing I had from RSM is just to put the skimmer in the rear chamber. No foam (other than the foam for the return pump areas) and thats it.
I have both of my return pumps on max with the little dials on the front of them. Before I start messing around with their level of flow, I figured I'd ask around first. It's not easy to adjust their flow with them in the chambers.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try using your return pump flow adjustments to raise or lower your water level. Then adjust the ball valve on the rear of the tank to get rid of the gurgling. I think you have a valve, the S650 does.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a photo? I never had this issue on a C250 and I'm not sure the changes they made in the E series other than the lighting. The water level was very high in the C250 though, never had any noise from that system other than the T5 fans.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the E260 for a few months before upgrading to the Max S 650 last year

It doesn't have the ball valve/downflow pipe valve at the back like on the S650 (assuming you haven't got the extended sump and just the standard tank).

I believe the correct water level in the rear chamber is around were it will cover half of the return pumps outlet nozzles were they go back into the tank as a rough guide. I would leave the pumps on maximum so you get good flow in the display but you can adjust as necessary.

The skimmer will generally go nuts for a short period, maybe even a week or so when you first set it up. Just install the white air valve and close it up and then gradually open it slowly over a period of days until you can finally remove it.
You will get the feel for the system but it took me a few months until I was at one with it. And then I upgraded lol!!

Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running a sump under, just using the rear chambers. I figured the skimmer would go nuts for awhile, which is fine. I'm just glad it's consistant in it's level while doing so.
Dont mind the probes just laying there, currently printing new holders for them. :p
mFy25C7l.jpg

rV0Fm6kl.jpg

Also, anyone else with a similar setup, what % are you running lights at? I'm new to these AI lights and I want to make sure I'm not way off base, so I'm basically at 50% intensity right now.

D4TQTFvl.png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running a sump under, just using the rear chambers. I figured the skimmer would go nuts for awhile, which is fine. I'm just glad it's consistant in it's level while doing so.
Dont mind the probes just laying there, currently printing new holders for them. :p
mFy25C7l.jpg

rV0Fm6kl.jpg

Also, anyone else with a similar setup, what % are you running lights at? I'm new to these AI lights and I want to make sure I'm not way off base, so I'm basically at 50% intensity right now.

D4TQTFvl.png
In my 650 I’ve always run the Hydra Red Sea Reef Spec settings which are in the instructions and basically maximum on everything other than 60% white and 0 red/green. I believe red/green can encourage algea growth.

I run these all day from 11.30am but then from 7pm I go ‘blue’ as I like that colour in the evening when watching the tank.

DREED

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever dete
Setting up my RSM e260, got it all filled, turned on skimmer and pumps. Everything is running well at first. I initially filled it to the point that I didnt hear any water falling from the overflow. I looked in the rear and noticed the water level is above all of the baffles. I consulted the manual to find the recommended level, and I then dropped the water level to where it said. The water noise coming from the overflow into the 1st chamber is so loud, I know it's not right. There is no way Red Sea designed it to be this loud. I raised the water level back up to get rid of the loud falling/splashing. Of course the skimmer didnt like this but I was able to use the air valve and get it tuned so that it quit going nuts.

Is there something I missed or am missing in general? The only thing I had from RSM is just to put the skimmer in the rear chamber. No foam (other than the foam for the return pump areas) and thats it.
I have both of my return pumps on max with the little dials on the front of them. Before I start messing around with their level of flow, I figured I'd ask around first. It's not easy to adjust their flow with them in the chambers.
Did you ever determine how to get your levels correct? Did you have to lower the outlet of the circulation pumps? I’m in the process of setting up my RS 260 and the pumps lower the rear sump level fast. The water levels are per the manual. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back