RSR XL425 - need advice with GAC, BioPellet, UV, Fuge

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a RedSea Reefer XL425 with v3 sump. I have built a 1" manifold going to the left that bushes down to (2) 1/2" areas for GAC and possibly GFO/Biopellets via Standard Aquamaxx reactor. I also have an extension of 1" manifold line that was supposed to be for UV or refugium. Maybe even consider an algae reactor too.

Out of all the filtering and nutrient reduction philosophy (Besides protein skimmer) What would you recommend? I'm looking to have ultra clear water and lower maintenance. I don't mind spending the money where needed.

Note: My intention of wanting an UV sterilizer is to reduce macro algae (higher flow rates) and not protozoa (lower flow rates). These UV sterilizers are really big ~Pentair 40W. My Display is ~88 Gallons and sump is ~20 gallons.

Is a refugium necessary for low maintenance and ultra clear water?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been happy with any filtration system that didn't include both a protein skimmer and some form of nitrate and phosphate control. The UV is nice but not needed, the GAC is nice but not needed, the GFO is nice but not needed. (Needed for my contentment that is.)

The fundamentals for me are a good skimmer and some form of nitrate and phosphate control. The two most common ways of nitrate and phosphate control are carbon dosing and algal filtration.

This being said you mentioned one form of carbon dosing and one form of algal filtration. Biopellets are a form of carbon dosing that works well and the refugium is a form of algal filtration that works well. I would pick one and commit to it. My preference being the refugium. I would not run both together and I would spend no extra money on any other filtration components until you have a really nice skimmer and nitrate and phosphate control method.

Committing to Bio pellets means purchasing a good reactor for BioPellets specifically. My favorite are the churning style of reactors from reef octopus and Lifegard. I also like to dose bacteria occasionally to keep the bacterial population strong.

Committing to the refugium means buying a nice light like one of the H series Kessils and occasionally supplementing algae nutrients with a product like Brightwell Chaeto grow or a mineral enriched substrate.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been happy with any filtration system that didn't include both a protein skimmer and some form of nitrate and phosphate control. The UV is nice but not needed, the GAC is nice but not needed, the GFO is nice but not needed. (Needed for my contentment that is.)

The fundamentals for me are a good skimmer and some form of nitrate and phosphate control. The two most common ways of nitrate and phosphate control are carbon dosing and algal filtration.

This being said you mentioned one form of carbon dosing and one form of algal filtration. Biopellets are a form of carbon dosing that works well and the refugium is a form of algal filtration that works well. I would pick one and commit to it. My preference being the refugium. I would not run both together and I would spend no extra money on any other filtration components until you have a really nice skimmer and nitrate and phosphate control method.

Committing to Bio pellets means purchasing a good reactor for BioPellets specifically. My favorite are the churning style of reactors from reef octopus and Lifegard. I also like to dose bacteria occasionally to keep the bacterial population strong.

Committing to the refugium means buying a nice light like one of the H series Kessils and occasionally supplementing algae nutrients with a product like Brightwell Chaeto grow or a mineral enriched substrate.
Thank you very much for your insight. I'm going to do some more research on a refugium, i was given some advice that the smaller section that the RSR V3 sump allows for a refugium is too small and then you would need a volume around 1/3 sump volume for sufficient size or near the triton mehtod.

What would be your priority? Refugium, BIoPellet, Carbon Reactor, UV?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use some method of Nitrate and phosphate control. Either the refugium or BioPellets If you feel you don't have room for a Refugium then I would go BioPellets. Skimmer and BioPellets would be your two most important pieces of equipment.

After those two I would consider a carbon reactor and UV in that order. Only buy the Carbon and UV if you can afford a high quality skimmer and BioPellet reactor.

Kaneohekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when planning my 425XL. I saw Broadfield's set up and thought I had to have his set up and purchased all of the reactors and such. I later realized all of that equipment would barely fit under the stand and decided to go the very simple route with just a skimmer.

With that said, I have an SPS dominant, bare bottom tank that is over stocked and I struggle to keep my nitrates and phosphates at detectable levels. This is just one simplistic option of filtration that one could be successful with. Then again it's completely possible this set up is insufficient to your needs so I think knowing what your goals are and preferences of tank inhabitants might better guide your equipment/set up selection?

IMG_4162.jpg

I may have not copied Broadfield's manifold set up but he did inspire my sump design :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank I have a Red Sea 425 also.
skimmer and filter socks will keep water clean but you need a lot to save dirty then wash.
I always run GAC but to lazy to plumb it in so I use bag.
i prefer fuge over other methods if possible.
Fuge is great to remove nutrients, PH, food for tangs and looks. Not a lot of room in the sump area so you are limited.
I would like UV but like you size and needing to service it is a problem if you want it in the cabinet.

My tank is decently stocked and has minimal rock. Skimmer sits on 2 marine pure blocks, 1/2 the sump is fuge. I onky use filter socks in when siring sand bed during water change. The fuge has been keeping up with the nutrients

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when planning my 425XL. I saw Broadfield's set up and thought I had to have his set up and purchased all of the reactors and such. I later realized all of that equipment would barely fit under the stand and decided to go the very simple route with just a skimmer.

With that said, I have an SPS dominant, bare bottom tank that is over stocked and I struggle to keep my nitrates and phosphates at detectable levels. This is just one simplistic option of filtration that one could be successful with. Then again it's completely possible this set up is insufficient to your needs so I think knowing what your goals are and preferences of tank inhabitants might better guide your equipment/set up selection?

IMG_4162.jpg

I may have not copied Broadfield's manifold set up but he did inspire my sump design :)
Appreciate this, I too like many am a fan of Broadfields majestic craftsmanship. Although I'm trying to keep the included v3 sump that came with the tank, i have a built my manifold and will stick with it. I have one (1) Aquamaxx standard reactor and will proabably get another just in case

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should of done this in the beginning but see current sump and manifold layout. I had a buddy of mine who is a machinist, turn down some 1" sch. 80 pvc pipe for a perfect fit inside the pipes to/from the display.

KW RSR XL425 v3 Sump Layout.jpg

Back