UV sterilizer inline with return pump (no manifold)?

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

I have been scouring the threads, but have not found an answer to my exact question. The details:

I have an Aqua UV 25w sterilizer that I plan to install on my Red Sea Reefer 350L (90 gallon). The primary purpose of this is for parasite control, which, according to Auqa UV’s website reccomends a flow of 400 GPH. This rate matches well with my regular return flow rate of 3.5 to 4x tank turnover.

Do you all see a risk in just plumbing this inline with the return pump (without a manifold)? This would be so simple to set up and seems to align with the purpose.

For algae control, the only way that I see getting a 1200 GPH flow rate is a sump to sump design, which is also viable, but there seems to be so much angst in the forum when this approach is considered.

Contemplating in VA…

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

I have been scouring the threads, but have not found an answer to my exact question. The details:

I have an Aqua UV 25w sterilizer that I plan to install on my Red Sea Reefer 350L (90 gallon). The primary purpose of this is for parasite control, which, according to Auqa UV’s website reccomends a flow of 400 GPH. This rate matches well with my regular return flow rate of 3.5 to 4x tank turnover.

Do you all see a risk in just plumbing this inline with the return pump (without a manifold)? This would be so simple to set up and seems to align with the purpose.

For algae control, the only way that I see getting a 1200 GPH flow rate is a sump to sump design, which is also viable, but there seems to be so much angst in the forum when this approach is considered.

Contemplating in VA…
That would be fine. Imo most people put it on a manifold to control flow through it ie slow down the flow to control parasites. If that is a good flow rate through it to do that then its fine. It will also control algae the higher flow for algae control is because its easier to damage then parasites that flow rate will do both especially if its the only return to the tank. I split mine kinda like a manifold I guess because im looking for around 600gph return to tank. Thinking more on it I should have put the valve on the other return pipe oh well...lol.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twentyleagues that is so good to hear! Perhaps I am overthinking this. Everyone seems to install a manifold, and I am questioning the need from it given the size of my tank and the recommended flow through rate of the sterilizer.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

Contemplating in VA…
Which parasite are you attempting to control?

A lot of UV steriliser specs give misleading information in that they give numbers for control of Freshwater Ich rather than marine ich (cryptocaryon irritans). For marine Ich you need an exposure of 280,000 uw/cm not 90,000 uw/cm so the flow rate is often much slower.

In the case of a Pentair 40W which I have, the flow rate required is around 120 gph which is why a manifold is often required.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge - Yes, this would be for ich, etc.

I just googled and see what you mean…so for this sterilizer, the flow rate would be equivalent to 128 GPH which, luckily, still provides at least a 1x tank turnover/hour. In this scenario, would a sump to sump design be okay? I would pull from the skimmer chamber and return to the return pump chamber.

Here is the info directly from the mfg website:

Water Sterilization MeasurementsFreshwater: 500 – 1,200 Gallons
Saltwater: 150 Gallons
Recommended Flow Rate for UV Dosagesat 30,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) GPH: 1,200 (Max Flow Rate)
at 45,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) GPH: 800
at 60,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) GPH: 600
at 75,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) GPH: 480
at 90,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) GPH: 400 (Min Flow Rate)
Information for Reef TanksA UV rated in the 30,000 or 45,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) is ideal for the reef environment. UV’s used at higher kill rates will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef.
Information for Marine Fish(No reef or live rock) A UV rated in the 75,000 or 90,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) will be the most effective at controlling fish disease. All UV dosages are calculated at the end of lamp life (14 months).

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back