rsumner's 450gal Home Office Reef

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I chose the 38" stand height aiming for a healthy balance of being able to see the tank both sitting and standing since the tank is 30" tall. In hindsight, I wish I would have went two inches taller or shaved two inches off the sump height (20") because I'm already struggling with the 10" of sump access that I have. Designing the plumbing to accommodate six drain lines has also been a "puzzle" as I try to limit the amount of overhead pipes within the sump area that could consume more of my limited space. Any maintenance in the sump is definitely going to be a back-breaking experience. :)

I will definitely reach out if I decide I want to add more Orpheks.

Can you run the pipes on the back of the stand? I used floor sliders under the feet and air bags to move the whole setup in once plumbing was done.

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run the pipes on the back of the stand? I used floor sliders under the feet and air bags to move the whole setup in once plumbing was done.

Yep, I'm going to run four of the pipes on the back of the stand and two on the inside. With the dry fit tests I've done thus far, I think I'll have enough clearance for the gate valves and still have enough room for entry into the top of the sump. I'm going to wait for the tank to get here before I start cutting too much PVC.

I got some floor sliders with wheels on them that seem to be working pretty well to help move the stand around thus far. I might try some more generic sliders because the wheels get caught in the grout gaps on my tile floor. I put them under the feet of the stand before I installed the sump and it was easy to use the included crappy pry-bar to lift the stand high enough to slip the sliders under the feet. I worry I won't be able to use this strategy once the tank is on the stand. The air bags sound like a great idea. Got a pointer to what you use? Something like this?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to happen. The skimmer arrived a few weeks ago from RK2 Systems. It was shipped on a pallet and packed really well.

skimmer-sled.jpg

The skimmer is a beast measuring about 56" tall and required a bit more length and width than I originally planed for, so I'm going to have to get creative on hiding it in cabinetry. The quality and craftsmanship from RK2 is amazing. The customizations they did for so I can control the rinse down with my Apex is awesome and the Abyzz A200 pump is super sexy mounted to those Hayward ball valves. I can't wait to get water running through this puppy.

rk5ac-front.jpg

The extruded aluminum stand required more focus and attention than I originally thought would be required. After 3 or 4 times, I was able to finally get the stand built. After that, I had to get the courage to cut $300 sheets of HDPE. First, I had to rip about 1/2" off the length with a circular saw to bring it down to 96" flat:

stand-rip.jpg

Then, measure and cut the slots on the bottom shelf with a jig saw:
stand-slot-measurement.jpg

stand-slots.jpg

I'm happy with the finished product and ready to drop the sump in the bottom and the tank on the top:

stand-complete.jpg

Most of the equipment has arrived, but a few things got delayed and others I haven't ordered yet:

equipment-piling-up.jpg

And we've gotta zoom-in on the Abyzz boxes. Yes, that's three A200's and one A100:

abyzz-heaven.jpg

The sump was supposed to ship today, but I have a feeling it will be delayed. I'll post more once things start coming together.

Looking good! Following along. I just set up a large peninsula myself so I know the amount of time, etc it takes to get everything up and running. Looking forward to the progress!

I don't know if I missed it but where did you get your HDPE sheets from?

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Following along. I just set up a large peninsula myself so I know the amount of time, etc it takes to get everything up and running. Looking forward to the progress!

I don't know if I missed it but where did you get your HDPE sheets from?

Thanks. No matter how much time I plan and prepare, I always seem to be smacked with a new challenge around every corner.

I got my 1/2" HDPE sheets from Laird Plastics. They have a location in Austin, so I paid them to do the main dimensional cuts and deliver it cheaper than I could order and ship online.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm going to run four of the pipes on the back of the stand and two on the inside. With the dry fit tests I've done thus far, I think I'll have enough clearance for the gate valves and still have enough room for entry into the top of the sump. I'm going to wait for the tank to get here before I start cutting too much PVC.

I got some floor sliders with wheels on them that seem to be working pretty well to help move the stand around thus far. I might try some more generic sliders because the wheels get caught in the grout gaps on my tile floor. I put them under the feet of the stand before I installed the sump and it was easy to use the included crappy pry-bar to lift the stand high enough to slip the sliders under the feet. I worry I won't be able to use this strategy once the tank is on the stand. The air bags sound like a great idea. Got a pointer to what you use? Something like this?

Yes, but I prefer the square bags over rectangle, HD sells the ones I like

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along looks like this is going to be amazing build
I'm also trying to work out and design a pull out sump

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is here and on the stand! I hired a local moving company to pickup the tank from the FedEx Freight terminal and bring it into my house. They started with 6 guys and called-in two more for help. I have a multi-level home with a really crazy drive way, so they ended up removing the railing from my front steps and using the truck's lift gate to get over the initial hurdle of 5 steps and two 90 degree turns. After that, it was pure muscle to get it through my door way and on the stand. It cost a small fortune, but totally worth it.

rsumner-tank-movein1.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein2.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein3.jpg

My 14 year old daughter couldn't wait to jump inside for some pics:

sumner-tank-movein4.jpg

I totally forgot to add an aquarium pad on my Glass Cages order, but Joe called me within 5 minutes of me sending an email while the guys were moving the tank in and assured me it would be shipped ASAP. Glass Cages is the absolute best!

I'll get things cleaned up and presentable and post more pics.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is here and on the stand! I hired a local moving company to pickup the tank from the FedEx Freight terminal and bring it into my house. They started with 6 guys and called-in two more for help. I have a multi-level home with a really crazy drive way, so they ended up removing the railing from my front steps and using the truck's lift gate to get over the initial hurdle of 5 steps and two 90 degree turns. After that, it was pure muscle to get it through my door way and on the stand. It cost a small fortune, but totally worth it.

rsumner-tank-movein1.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein2.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein3.jpg

sumner-tank-movein4.jpg

I totally forgot to add an aquarium pad on my Glass Cages order, but Joe called me within 5 minutes of me sending an email while the guys were moving the tank in and assured me it would be shipped ASAP. Glass Cages is the absolute best!

So happy for you! I’m a big fan of @Joe Glass Cages

BTW do NOT cut the pad until after the tank is on the pad and stand. The pad is tacky and the tank will not slide on it.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rsumner-tank-movein1.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein2.jpg

rsumner-tank-movein3.jpg

sumner-tank-movein4.jpg

Looking amazing. Love seeing the process in motion.

most awesome for your daughter. Loving it!

Thanks so much for the support @rsumner much appreciated!!!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy for you! I’m a big fan of @Joe Glass Cages

BTW do NOT cut the pad until after the tank is on the pad and stand. The pad is tacky and the tank will not slide on it.
thats so much @Hydrored really appreciate the support. The Glass Cages team has a ton of Passion.

Great advice on the pad!

subman719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just joined this forum and also wish I could do a larger tank than my 90. This is an AMAZING build project! I'm following your build and enjoy all the updates you've provided. I'm in the process of configuring a new Glass Cages 90 gallon tank, and seeing this thread has solidified my decision to go with Glass Cages for the build! Looking forward to seeing more updates on your setup!

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sump has arrived!! Lift gate service was a problem due to the crate being 8ft long, but the driver and I muscled it into the garage and then the teenager next door helped me move it into the house using shoulder dolly straps.

C7A2783C-9ADC-4C6C-AC3F-4DD9A5E9D097.jpeg

C524AD0E-514B-4B3B-ABEE-64FE1DA48FE5.jpeg

Your stand is 38” tall? And the sump is only 20” tall, but you only have 10” gap between the top of the sump and the stand… how did that happen? Frame thickness?

I’m planning something similar and this is something I’m concerned about, I only wanted to go 36” tall, and have a sump 22” in height, so now I’m really concerned I’m missing a lot of hidden measurements.

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand is 38” tall? And the sump is only 20” tall, but you only have 10” gap between the top of the sump and the stand… how did that happen? Frame thickness?

I’m planning something similar and this is something I’m concerned about, I only wanted to go 36” tall, and have a sump 22” in height, so now I’m really concerned I’m missing a lot of hidden measurements.

Sump sits on the bottom shelf at 4.5” off the ground after you account for the bottom frame thickness, leveling feet, and HDPE sheet. Then you have to account for the frame thickness of the top cross beam which chews up another 3.5”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's hard to believe that 6 weeks have gone by and I've made, what I believe to be, little progress on my plumbing. I got the UV sterilizers from RK2 a few days after Thanksgiving and finally have them mounted on the left wall of the tank in an orientation that will not only allow me to maintain the sterilizers, but still allow for exit plumbing (destined for the display returns) to fit behind the 8" I have to play with behind my tank. Here are some pics to please the masses:

xflo-uv-xfls-120H-box.jpg

I mounted them to the wall with 1020 extruded profiles that are screwed directly to the studs. The left UV is turned to a 67.5 degree angle so I can mate it with a 22.5 degree fitting to run my 2" return line behind the tank. I plan on attaching a huge 2" Hayward ball valve to each of those exits that will sit in the left cabinet . You can see in this pic where I have a 2" tee that will split into the 2x1" returns for the left side of the display tank. The UV on the right will run about 8 feet behind the tank and then tee into two more 1" returns for the right side of the tank.

xlfo-uv-xfls-120H-mounted.jpg

I also built custom stands out of 1010 extruded aluminum profiles with height adjustable legs on them for the UV's to sit on to relieve some of the stress off the flimsy 5" pipe clamps that attach the UV's to the wall. In the following pic you can see the sewage line and fresh water supply lines that I had roughed-in by a plumber that I need to run about 12 feet to the other other side of the tank where the skimmer and RO will be. Lastly, I have to finish plumbing the sewage line that exits the side of my house and tie it into the city sewage.

xlfo-uv-xfls-120H-bottom.jpg

I do have all of the plumbing for the display overflow to the sump dry-fitted. I've changed it at least a half dozen times trying to perfect it. I also have the plumbing from the sump to the skimmer (feed and drain) dry fitted. 100% of the plumbing (drain and return) will use sweeping 90, 45, and 22.5 degree fittings to reduce noise and head pressure. I've started to dry-fit the return plumbing, which includes the UVs, but I'm not quite happy with that component yet.

Needless-to-say, I think I have about $2000 in PVC pipe and fittings spread all over my office right now as I try different variations. A lot of the delays have been caused by me changing my mind a few times, having to order more crazy fittings from online suppliers, waiting for delivery, and then trying again.

I hope to have all the pipes glued by the end of next weekend where I'll post some final pictures and a big writeup on the plumbing configuration.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just stumbled on your build thread. It's a fun read! Reminds me of when I built my tank.

That sump is beautiful. John made mine 9 (!!) years ago and he sure has stepped up his game. My sump is great, but I think I'm going to have to give Johan a call soon...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back