Running a Reef LED 50 and aa Kessil A360X Tuna Blue on a 26 GallonNano Peninsula

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to upgrade the Reef LED 50 lighting on my RSM Nano Peninsula tank for a while now. I really want to cut down on shadowing from the single light source. I looked at adding a Radion XR30 or a Kessil AP9X but both would require modification to the tank or a hanging kit. I decided to buy a Kessil A360X Tuna Blue with a goosearm mount and the angle adjustment adaptor. I realize I'm going for an overly-complicated solution by utilizing two lights from different manufacturers but it's the easiest solution I can come up with.

I plan to use the A360X as my main light angled towards my rockwork to reduce shadowing and to move my Red Sea ReefLED 50 over top of my SPS as a spotlight and to aid in light penetration.

My ReefLED 50 is running around 60% blue, 12% white, acclimating up to a target of 70% blue 15% white. I don't have a PAR meter but I could rent one if I have to. I have some SPS growth up top but it's pretty evident that I could use more light penetration for the bottom third of the tank.

What's the smartest way to make this transition to two lights? I guess I'll be ramping down the ReefLED 50 as I ramp up the Kessil. How slow should I try to make the transition? Should I start the Kessil at 50% of what I think the ReefLED is putting out and ramp from there? Should I run the ReefLED to match the color temp on the Kessil or just run all blue/mostly blue since I'm using it to supplement the A360X?

All thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on the A360X. I dropped the ReefLED 50 to 30% blue, 8% white for the entire day. I have the A360X ramping to 30% by 7pm but I'm using the acclimation mode. My current intensity is 21%. I think I'll need to take the ReefLED 50 down to around 20% as the A360X ramps up to 30 but I'll keep an eye on things.

I haven't played around with the Kessil enough but the colors look dramatically better. I'm really happy with this light and might get another to fully replace the ReefLED 50.

Any programming tips for two different brand lights would be appreciated.
kessil a360x 1.jpg

Morning shot, pipe organ not opened yet but growing like crazy. Acro colors popping much more with the Kessil.
Day 122 2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back