Running AB+ Modified by ReefDudes, Radion G6 XR30 Pros Still way to BLUE !!!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running the new G6 Pros full 100% on the 4 blue channels like AB+ but then pushing the whites higher to get more of a 10,000k look ? The Pros on AB+ and AB+ Modified by reefdudes is still way too blue for my liking. Any downfalls to trying this ? Am I going to loose coral growth or will the Radions act like Kessil Logic at that point,
all the blue channels 100% but whites higher to make more appealing to the eye. I absolutely hate Windex tanks.

IMG_1671.jpeg

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing magical about ab+. Just tune the spectrum intensity to your liking as long as you are still providing full spectrum. If ab+ too blue for you, lower the blues and increase the whites. Rent a par meter if possible.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running the new G6 Pros full 100% on the 4 blue channels like AB+ but then pushing the whites higher to get more of a 10,000k look ? The Pros on AB+ and AB+ Modified by reefdudes is still way too blue for my liking. Any downfalls to trying this ? Am I going to loose coral growth or will the Radions act like Kessil Logic at that point,
all the blue channels 100% but whites higher to make more appealing to the eye. I absolutely hate Windex tanks.

IMG_1671.jpeg
No Radions do not " do" Kessil logic.
Any increase in one will need an equal decrease in another " color" to keep par equal.
Not quite as easy as it sounds though.
The less you rely on " regular blue" the less Windex you will get.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting

going to look into this
He "did" run all out at 100%. According to the latest Reefbum thing he is at 80% I believe .
Still all channels equal though.

There are those that run leds at more ...err..daylight spectrum levels not fearing red ect. :)
Keep in mind that most are at like 10000k or higher in general at 100%

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why there are two different Radion G6's (and 5's for that matter and probably earlier models). Assuming both are at 100% the Radion pro produces a whiter look. The Blue's are obviously the heavy blue, windex, fluorescence look.

As already noted by Oreo they ARE NOT similar to Kessil or their respected Kessil Logic. Also worthy to note if you start dialing down say the G6 Blues to force a more natural whiter look like the Pros (by default) you will reduce overall PAR as some LED's will be running lower power/intensity.

Similar to say a Coral Care Gen 2. You turn down the natural white or cool white LED's and crank up the Blue channels PAR will be lower. Wrong tool for the job. Maybe not a lot but something you should at least be aware of.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why there are two different Radion G6's (and 5's for that matter and probably earlier models). Assuming both are at 100% the Radion pro produces a whiter look. The Blue's are obviously the heavy blue, windex, fluorescence look.

As already noted by Oreo they ARE NOT similar to Kessil or their respected Kessil Logic. Also worthy to note if you start dialing down say the G6 Blues to force a more natural whiter look like the Pros (by default) you will reduce overall PAR as some LED's will be running lower power/intensity.

Similar to say a Coral Care Gen 2. You turn down the natural white or cool white LED's and crank up the Blue channels PAR will be lower. Wrong tool for the job. Maybe not a lot but something you should at least be aware of.
I have the Pro's I do not have the blues. So was looking for advise on settings for people with the Pro G6's that like a whiter more natural tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Pro's I do not have the blues. So was looking for advise on settings for people with the Pro G6's that like a whiter more natural tank.
You had no luck finding a color you like with the Kelvin slider?

Yea photos and vids aren't always real.
Start at about 6:25.

There is a variability and personal preference in what " whiter more natural" means to individuals not to mention emulating what depth.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had no luck finding a color you like with the Kelvin slider?

Yea photos and vids aren't always real.
Start at about 6:25.

There is a variability and personal preference in what " whiter more natural" means to individuals not to mention emulating what depth.

This is great and appreciate the link, my question goes back to who's really running the G6 Pros with the sliders at 10,000K, 12,000 K settings permanently, and what kind of coloration and growth are they getting. All the WWC settings, Coral Labs, Reefdudes, they all run strong blues and dont really run a 10k or 12k Slider setting. I think I'm going to try the slider option with PAR testing and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an affinity for a natural daylight looking tank I have to also mention, as you’re probably already aware, but many corals may take on a more brown or olive drab appearance at least initially when switching to a lower kelvin light. That color may persist for months as well so just be patient and accepting that they won’t have quite the same level of fluorescence and contrast under daylights. I am personally ok with it as I appreciate a natural pigmented coral, but some people get super disappointed with it

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an affinity for a natural daylight looking tank I have to also mention, as you’re probably already aware, but many corals may take on a more brown or olive drab appearance at least initially when switching to a lower kelvin light. That color may persist for months as well so just be patient and accepting that they won’t have quite the same level of fluorescence and contrast under daylights. I am personally ok with it as I appreciate a natural pigmented coral, but some people get super disappointed with it
This ^^ is a great point to make for everyone to read and learn from, sometimes corals online are so doctored up that a lot of people are disappointed when they receive their online purchases and put them under their lighting.

Thanks for sending, takes me back to my OP, I think I'm going to run a 10k setting then munipulate the 4 blue channels a little higher to get just a little extra flouresence out of the corals. I'll follow up on this in a week or so and share my results. Of course I'll be watching my par numbers to make sure I'm not pushing the PAR too high.
Sunday I was easily getting 800-900 PAR, 8" underwater running all channels at 100%, even getting 500 PAR on the sand of a 24" deep water column.

Last edited:

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge the AB+ spectrum on the pro and blue are not the same channel settings. For instance on the pro you would run the whites low and all the other channels high, but on the blue light, AB+ is designed for all channels to be at 100%, and then lowering intensity for your tanks needs. I would love the see a side by side comparison of someone setting both the pro and blue correctly set to AB+.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try 100% on all colors ..that 12k look is what i like,,just adjust intensity

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that you prefer a “more daylight” look, this can be done with the Radion PRO.

I do not like how the Kelvin slider works because it is a little too aggressive with reducing channels across the board. On my G5 PRO I run blues at 100%, warm white ~50% and cool white at ~70%. This produces maybe a 12-14k look.

To the point of Kessil Logic, I don’t really know is if this is the “right spectrum” or if this is even a real consideration. I’ve never really heard a good argument for this but if someone posts a MACNA link or something that would be interesting..

agol77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^ is a great point to make for everyone to read and learn from, sometimes corals online are so doctored up that a lot of people are disappointed when they receive their online purchases and put them under their lighting.

Thanks for sending, takes me back to my OP, I think I'm going to run a 10k setting then munipulate the 4 blue channels a little higher to get just a little extra flouresence out of the corals. I'll follow up on this in a week or so and share my results. Of course I'll be watching my par numbers to make sure I'm not pushing the PAR too high.
Sunday I was easily getting 800-900 PAR, 8" underwater running all channels at 100%, even getting 500 PAR on the sand of a 24" deep water column.
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering what you settled on in the end? I am having the same issue at the minute.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back