Running ATO under the house in cold temps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter West1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
689
Location
Idaho
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased a couple 3 drawer consoles and going to set them up around my white 525xl.
Right side will have my granddaughters baby corn snake and the left side will have my IM 15 snail tank that’s plumed to the 525xl.
My issue is my ato. The reservoir I have is to tall to put in the console so I would like to run a 1/4 RO line from my garage to the foyer which is roughly 30’ away. If I were to run the line as close to the floor insulation as possible, and up through my baseboard (easy patch if I tear down), would the ro line freeze in Idaho winters?
Between 0*-40*.

I have the Tunze 3150.110a socket outlet to connect any pump to the Tunze 3155. I also have the new DC ato so I might test its strength in normal wiring before wiring it to high output.

Any ideas to achieve this would be great!

Tyvm

IMG_8081.jpeg IMG_8082.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Yes, the line would freeze. I run heat tracing on water well lines to prevent freezing and I live in Texas.

“MAXKOSKO 24 Ft. 120 V Heat Trace Cable for Pipe Freeze Protection, Self-Regulating Heating Cable for Metal And Plastic Home Pipes, Energy-Saving Pipe Heating Cable Keeps Water Flowing at -40 °F”​

 
Yes, the line would freeze. I run heat tracing on water well lines to prevent freezing and I live in Texas.

“MAXKOSKO 24 Ft. 120 V Heat Trace Cable for Pipe Freeze Protection, Self-Regulating Heating Cable for Metal And Plastic Home Pipes, Energy-Saving Pipe Heating Cable Keeps Water Flowing at -40 °F”​

Oh interesting!
I see this company below has a 2mil insurance policy, ganna order the 3w tyvm!

HEATIT JHSF 60ft Pipe Heat Cables for Metal And Plastic Home Pipes, Energy-efficient, Self-Regulating Heat Trace Cable for Pipe Freeze Protection, Keeps Water Flowing at -40°F, ETL Listed, 120V Amazon product ASIN B0732ZT72M
 
Finally got around to swapping the console/stand. The new one is just over 1” taller so I had to cut and glue some plumbing.
I got ahead of myself while glueing everything back and somehow moved the 15gl out from its center position. I’ll fix that next weekend, livestock was not happy with the 2hr stagnant water.

Before and after pics.
1/4” hole through baseboard for DI water
1/4” hole for 5-6” of tubing so the speaker wire can run through the crawl to the Tunze dc ato pump (newest pump).
Pic from down below as my granddaughter wanted to go on an adventure:)
Return lines near the entrance of my crawl space
Pics of plumbing and vent. Part of the stand is over my vent so I drilled 2” holes at the base so I don’t restrict the HVAC
Last pic is what it looks like now. The foyer is a total mess so I’ll take a full shot once I clean the place up a bit.

In my sump, I did split the line with a small dial valve at the top of the stand. With a solid ato return line, the line would not stop filling my sump up. 2 nights later with split line, the valve stops the syphon within 1 second. Pump off, water pressure stops instantly and the relief valve drains within a second.
Extremely happy with the results!!
Temps have been mid 30’s and low 40’s.
I purchased a 60’ heat trace cable that I’ll install if the line freezes up. Hopefully not, I ran the 1/4” line along the pex line under the house so I would assume it will be fine. Luckily I’m in the perfect weather to test it out!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8105.jpeg
    IMG_8105.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8106.jpeg
    IMG_8106.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8097.jpeg
    IMG_8097.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8096.jpeg
    IMG_8096.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8098.jpeg
    IMG_8098.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 46
Final look
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 36
Update…
The ato reservoir is doing awesome!! When my salinity starts to drop, I add a couple scoops of salt into the reservoir and within a day, the little reservoir adds the salt back to the tank (that’s what the white in the little reservoir is, new salt).

kalk is going great too. One of the lines from the reservoir is on a dosing pump that pulls the rodi from the reservoir and fills the Kalk reactor.

The only issue I’ve had is the tunze ato probe was replaced and since last week the probe has not been consistent. I clean it before work and before bed, my waterline is low. I’ve soaked it in white vinegar 3 times in the past 7 days and still doesn’t work properly. It’s under a year and I’m. Still waiting for tunze to reply to my emails.

Aside from the probe issue, I’ve had zero issues with the mini reservoir attached to my big rodi reservoir in my garage. Ato lines never froze (knock on wood) and the tunze ato dc pump can push the ato 25’, under the house!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9781.jpeg
    IMG_9781.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 36

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new