Running new install of reef-pi 4.1 on 3B+ losing WiFi connectivity

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie running new install of reef-pi 4.1/Buster 10.8 on 3B+ losing WiFi connectivity.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ journalctl | grep brcmfmac:
Mar 10 20:17:06 raspberrypi kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_set_power_mgmt: power save enabled

Is it possible the broadband has power save enabled?
How can I disable it?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie running new install of reef-pi 4.1/Buster 10.8 on 3B+ losing WiFi connectivity.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ journalctl | grep brcmfmac:
Mar 10 20:17:06 raspberrypi kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_set_power_mgmt: power save enabled

Is it possible the broadband has power save enabled?
How can I disable it?
Are you using 5GHz? If so go back and o 2.4. Signal stronger in 2.4

Also have look here. Use with caution as 5 years old

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using 5GHz? If so go back and o 2.4. Signal stronger in 2.4

Also have look here. Use with caution as 5 years old
I will definitely read the posts.

It's a little confusing because everything I have read indicates that rpOS now disables power-saving by default.

And of course it seems that are many places where power-saving lurks. The setting I've highlighted seems to be on Broadcom driver.

I'm not even sure if this is the problem. I've moved my reef-pi so I can connect it to my monitor in case I can't connect over WiFi but so far its been up for two days. Problem solved, just move my tank and controller into my bedroom!

I really can't imagine it's the WiFi signal because the reef-pi is about 15 feet from the router in a direct line and my bedroom is about 30 and never has any problems. Unless there's some quirky stuff going on in the ether.

Are there any logs I would be able to check which might help me sort out what's going on?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with the mounting magnets / pumps interfering with the wifi signal on the pi when I tried to keep the setup behind the tank, in case any of that stuff was around.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with the mounting magnets / pumps interfering with the wifi signal on the pi when I tried to keep the setup behind the tank, in case any of that stuff was around.
Magnetic fields do not, but it is possible that the metal in the magnets is changing the antenna characteristics or blocking the signal.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic fields do not, but it is possible that the metal in the magnets is changing the antenna characteristics or blocking the signal.
I'm not pretending to understand the science and maybe you do, but i can tell you for my setup closer to the pump mounting magnet == inconsistent wifi

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not pretending to understand the science and maybe you do, but i can tell you for my setup closer to the pump mounting magnet == inconsistent wifi
Motors / microwaves / High power cables / radios with close frequency signals known to have affect on radio signals.
I don’t pretend to understand half of the technology behind this but setting up wireless and wired networks for living.
there are tools to help you to do this some are free too.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motors / microwaves / High power cables / radios with close frequency signals known to have affect on radio signals.
I don’t pretend to understand half of the technology behind this but setting up wireless and wired networks for living.
there are tools to help you to do this some are free too.
LOL I prefer to just move the box

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back