Running only blue channel to slow algae growth?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some quick searching and I didn't see much regarding this particular question. Will running only blue channel slow and or kill algae?

I don't have a problem yet, but I'm seeing signs of a coming problem. Tank as been set up since June and has been OK so far. Still have some diatoms, but I'm starting to notice hair algae and today I spotted what looks the be bubble algae. I'm assuming my 2 tangs have been keeping algae in check. I've got about a soft ball size ball of chaeto. It hasn't grown. Each time I test parameters both nitrate and phosphate are at 0. I run DT lights 8 hours a day 20% white 80% blue. I run the fuge light when they are off. Corals are doing fantastic and coraline is starting to appear.

I assume my problem is my attempts to get the chaeto to grow. I've been turning the skimmer off when the DT lights are off and running without filter socks in attempts to get some nutrients in the water for the chaeto. Guess I'll axe that for now.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with bubble algae (it spreads if you pop the balls). My experience hasn't been a good one. I used to pop the algae and ended up with lots of it. I've had to manually remove it from all surfaces. I tried hermit crabs too but they clearly didn't like it.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with bubble algae (it spreads if you pop the balls). My experience hasn't been a good one. I used to pop the algae and ended up with lots of it. I've had to manually remove it from all surfaces. I tried hermit crabs too but they clearly didn't like it.
How does it spread when you pop the bubble algae?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No running only the blue channel will not kill algae as its very similar to a plant where it can use only blue to grow but it may slow its growth depending on type

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All algae use chlorophyll a to collect photosynthetically active light. Green algae and euglenophytes also use chlorophyll b. In addition to chlorophyll a

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorophyll b: This molecule has a structure similar to that of chlorophyll a. It absorbs light of 453nm and 642 nm maximally. It is not as abundant as chlorophyll a, and probably evolved later. It helps increase the range of light a plant can use for energy.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a chart showing c.a and c.b light uses for reference both can grow using only the red or blue side of the specktrum

chababspec.jpg

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we use light colour and wavelength as an example versus depth in the ocean we can see easily that Photosynthetic Usable Radiation is easily transferred to depth by blue high frequency short wavelengths while the red spectrum is low frequency long wavelength and much of its PUR is filtered out by the saltwater medium through which it is travelling at a depth of 50 metres.
So photosynthetic organisms can still exist under blue wavelengths.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marshall you are correct but it’s not just shining blue light that helps, it’s reducing the common white spectrum as well, a paired event.

*im not saying plants won’t use blue light, but it’s suppressive and thats why you found those hints in searching.

one way to validate the claim or deny it isn’t to publish studies or reports on the matter it’s to publish work links

before we can have a true opinion on blue vs white intensity for algae suppression, we have to take time to battle algae in a hundred reefs and have those links handy to reflect on

the data cannot just be our own reefs, too many factors affecting the evaluation

data must come from other people‘s reef tanks worked live time and compiled in one thread for patterns. This is where blue vs white intensity matters.

we could then take two comparative work threads and compare outcomes after a few years

one is allowed to use blue light factoring and the other is required to actually lessen the amount of blue lighting in its algae documention, and increase white spectrum, regardless of how the tuner handles the algae problems page to page. We see which has better algae control for the masses

white will grow a total forest for joe public

in fact, low K rating light intensity is so tied to algae growth given all other decent params, any reefer here with a perfect reef, algae free, set up a planted tank metal halide 6k gro bulb and shoot it into the tank from the front aiming like a beam onto a portion of rocks

gha in three days. If you fired an actinic cannon nothing would grow extra. Light intensity and spectrum have a huge impact on algae and invasion issues

Last edited:

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently it releases spores for new bubble algae. Look it up on YouTube there are lots of advice out there. I wish I had watched them before popping the hell out of mine!
There are NO spores in Bubble Algae. It is an old wives tale.
Cheers! Mark

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back