Running two types of lighting?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 180g acrylic tank I’m wanting to set up. I have a 220w China led that has done alright for me. But I’m wanting an sps tank. And I prefer the color of a mh light. I do not like the idea of replacing 2 400mh bulbs every year. I have 2 400w mh ballist laying around if I decided to go that way.

I had a bad idea, Running the cheap led on one side of the tank, and running a 400w mh on the other half. I’m not really sure if it would look funny, I figure the light will probably overlap and blend together.

Has anyone done this before? I thought it might have some advantages, like certain corals preferring one or the other.

Thoughts?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @Bugeater281

By running 2 separate lights on the tank, 1 on each side you are going to have noticeable difference.

It would take some work to adjust the led to get the color blend in with the MH. It will not automatically match color, the difference on either end would be noticeable until adjusted. The Mh may produce more power and shimmer and growth and color may vary.

Not to say it is bad. I tried something similar. I have a 180 also. I have a 6’ t5 hybrid with AI 52hd led. I put an led over the rt and left 1/3 sections with glass tops. The center section had no led just t5 and I put a screen top on. I saw a big difference in coraline growth in the middle.

Could always try, but always better to have things balanced so if something goes wrong it is easier to figure out the problem

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back