Running vs Not Running A Protein Skimmer

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago my protein skimmer was overlflowing so I turned it off and forgot about it. Since that time, my corals have never looked better (I have a mixed reef tank). My zoas in particular are bigger than I've ever noticed and mutliplying at a good rate. I don't know if not running the protein skimmer is the reason but is there a chance it was pulling too many nutrients out of the system? Does anyone not run a protein skimmer at all? Another option I was thinking about was putting it on a timer and just run it during the day.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that @Chaswood79 has his powered off during the day for a period of time to let his coral take up the nutrients during peak times. I just got a kasa smart power strip and will have my skimmer likely on a schedule.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago my protein skimmer was overlflowing so I turned it off and forgot about it. Since that time, my corals have never looked better (I have a mixed reef tank). My zoas in particular are bigger than I've ever noticed and mutliplying at a good rate. I don't know if not running the protein skimmer is the reason but is there a chance it was pulling too many nutrients out of the system? Does anyone not run a protein skimmer at all? Another option I was thinking about was putting it on a timer and just run it during the day.
I agree with your assessments. I do like the skimmer for air exchange. Maybe run yours with the collection up off, and assess as another data point.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run ours at night for gas exchange and just let the water drain from the cup back into the sump. We are still very lightly stocked and keeping nitrates and phos up is our current challenge.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you need to take gunk and/or nutrients out of the tank, a skimmer is great. If you don't, leave it off. Zoas often don't like protein skimmers because they like the nutrients the skimmer removes.

Plenty of very nice reefs run without skimmers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back