Rusalty Chaeto Contaminated

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a shipment of chaeto from Rusalty (DBA aquaculturenursery farms.com). Chaeto was infested with as yet unidentified worms, 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length, pale color, no markings, slightly enlarged head end. That's 2 half cups at 50 bucks each right down the crapper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a shipment of chaeto from Rusalty (DBA aquaculturenursery farms.com). Chaeto was infested with as yet unidentified worms, 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length, pale color, no markings, slightly enlarged head end. That's 2 half cups at 50 bucks each right down the crapper.

Do you think the worms are actually problematic? In some cases, they are just part of a mature microbiome from the dealer's tanks and don't cause any issues at all, and could actually be beneficial (detritivores, etc.).

Jay

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the worms are actually problematic? In some cases, they are just part of a mature microbiome from the dealer's tanks and don't cause any issues at all, and could actually be beneficial (detritivores, etc.).

Jay
I agree identification is key. They might be benign, or they might be Pherecardia, Hermodice or worse. Absent positive ID, it's not a risk I'm eager to take. I don't think it's too much to ask that (at these prices) the chaeto is clean.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Coral Collectors cheato.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. The real issue is you actually paid $100 for cheato lol most people get it free. Or at most like $15 delivered for a full gallon bag...

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way, it’s SUPPOSED to contain worms, pods, brittle stars. That’s the whole point of obtaining a mature and ecological balances saltwater aquarium...

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way, it’s SUPPOSED to contain worms, pods, brittle stars. That’s the whole point of obtaining a mature and ecological balances sltwater aquarium...
No, it's not. If I wanted dirty chaeto I'd get it from my LFS. The point of buying it from, e.g., the Algae Barn is to get it without unwanted mystery hitchhikers. The point of chaeto is that it decreases nutrients in the tank and outcompetes nuisance algae.. It doesn't require additional fauna to achieve that end. I may, in the future, CHOOSE to populate with selected critters, but it's not a requirement for a refugium. No advice is better than bad advice.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not. If I wanted dirty chaeto I'd get it from my LFS. The point of buying it from, e.g., the Algae Barn is to get it without unwanted mystery hitchhikers. The point of chaeto is that it decreases nutrients in the tank and outcompetes nuisance algae.. It doesn't require additional fauna to achieve that end. I may, in the future, CHOOSE to populate with selected critters, but it's not a requirement for a refugium. No advice is better than bad advice.
Mmmhmm keep thinking that..

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae isn’t able to outcomplete gha/turf algae’s, they will always win in the end. Food for thought...

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 54 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back