Sacramento Local Store Recommendations

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Anyone in the Sacramento area provide a recommendation/experience into a purchasing livestock from local store? I'm a couple weeks away and would like to start browsing local shops for my livestock choices.

the one's I already researched:
your reef - planning to buy all corals from here
Aqua Workz - close to my house, but I see many floating fish each time I visit

I have also done a ton of research from online vendors and wouldn't mind recommendations experience ordering from site like live aquaria, but would much rather visually see what I'm purchasing beforehand.

Thanks in advance

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are driving up to Your Reef you should also visit AquaLife in Rocklin. Aqualife moved not long ago, they used to be better but they still seem to be the best place local to get fish. Your Reef is good for frags, you can also shop online and pick up at the store.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Exotic Aquarium still around? I used to go there all the time when I was first starting out. It used to be on Florin Road, but then it moved to Franklin Blvd some time ago. It's definitely worth checking out IMO.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad the Fish Company closed downtown.

Morecoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reef is my favorite one. John is a good guy. Aqualife is my next choice. Aquarium depot has nice stuff. I haven't been to splash aquarium but I hear it's got good stuff too. Aqua workz has good stuff but I haven't been back because I bought my tank their when I first started and they charged me 100$ more than any other place in town and I bought water totes from them and they charged me for water when every other place give free water with a jug purchase. Little things like that make me never want to return.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the replies. I made my way out to Rocklin to check out Aqualife, and they had a really good selection to choose from. Stopped at aquarium depot on the way, and they are really nice and very helpful. Then I made my way back to my area and stopped at Exotic aquarium. I didn't even know they existed, and it's five minutes from my home. They also have a really good selection, but difficult to get any help.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to get my starter's from Aqualife, then clowns for Aquarium Depot.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update to this thread on my experience shopping around the Sacramento area.

aqua workz - dead fish every time I go in. They do however have a good selection of dry goods.

Splash - nice and knowledgble, would recommend.

Aqua life - now in Rocklin, good stuff, staff very knowledgeable, and took time to discuss. Just a little too far for me to go. Would need to call to find out stock before going.

Exotic Aquarium - don’t bother, they don’t care about the customer. Really bad experience with them.

Aquarium Depot - great customer service, and very friendly. IMO Best dry goods in the area and fish tanks always very clean.

These are of course my opinions. As for the exotic aquarium, this review is not from just a one time trip to that store, just overall horrible customer service.

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yourreef - best to get frags
Aquarium Depot - best to get fish and dry goods.
Aquaworkz - good variety of livestock
Splash Aquarium - small saltwater section but friendly staff
Exotic Aquarium - Dark and employees dont give a #$#$ about you. Stay away lol.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yourreef - best to get frags
Aquarium Depot - best to get fish and dry goods.
Aquaworkz - good variety of livestock
Splash Aquarium - small saltwater section but friendly staff
Exotic Aquarium - Dark and employees dont give a #$#$ about you. Stay away lol.
Couldn’t agree more abt the last one absolute worst customer service.

Aquaworkz I really like the place, but I always see two to three dead fish. Have you ever bought fish from there? I would like to hear your experience bc your right abt the good selection, just skeptical of the number of floaters.

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t agree more abt the last one absolute worst customer service.

Aquaworkz I really like the place, but I always see two to three dead fish. Have you ever bought fish from there? I would like to hear your experience bc your right abt the good selection, just skeptical of the number of floaters.
All those stores that I listed there is one point that I've seen dead livestocks on one or two of my visits. It just happens, maybe they are freshly shipped and they stressed out.

Anyway, thinking about it, I got all my fishes from Aquarium Depot. 10 fishes on a span of 1 year, 8 made it, fat and healthy, while 2 died and only lasted a week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back