Safe Hermit???

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
12,342
Reaction score
25,560
Location
Sayreville, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. I haven't added anything to my tank in at least a year, if not longer. I'm cleaning the sump...pulled the skimmer, return pump and biopellet reactor out and sucked all the water and schmutz out of these two portions of the sump. Low and behold I find a hermit in the skimmer section. I've only had scarlet leg hermits in my tank.....added maybe four years ago....haven't seen any in about six months. Here's the guy I found:







Is this guy reef safe? And where did he come from? Oh, for size, the shell is about 5/8 of an inch.
 
looks like a normal mixed bag hermit out of the bunch. They say crabs reef safe with caution right? I love the hermits in my reef. Gots the blues, reds, halloweens, white fuzzy, and im sure i or 2 that look like yours.
 
I never trust a hermit, but that is just me.
 
No hermit crabs, at least not in my display tank. I do however keep a mix of them in the frag tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new