Safe way to separate Xenia from Palm?

MbunaJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of starting up a new tank and transferring some of my corals over. I have this colony of Paly's that I'd like to take, but want to make sure I don't end up with Xenia in the new aquarium. Is there a safe way to separate these two without a hospital visit and with close to 100% surety that I won't transfer Xenia? The colony you see is some that I separated from the main colony thinking I had only gotten Paly's with no Xenia. A week later it looked like this.

Thanks for the help!
EFB807D2-9E5A-4DCB-91AB-EE176DA251AA.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commingled in like that, I fear there is nothing you can do that I am aware of.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try an insulin syringe with vinegar. disturb the palys to get them to close and inject the xenia stalks with vinegar. They will melt in a few days.

Use gloves, eye protection, etc since its palys, and let them hang out in the frag tank for a while to check nothing grows back.

I used to inject xenia like this in my display to kill it when it spread, most of the time it would not grow back from the same spot. Occasionally it came back, that's why I would observe for some time before adding the frag to your display.

OP
OP
MbunaJohn

MbunaJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try an insulin syringe with vinegar. disturb the palys to get them to close and inject the xenia stalks with vinegar. They will melt in a few days.

Use gloves, eye protection, etc since its palys, and let them hang out in the frag tank for a while to check nothing grows back.

I used to inject xenia like this in my display to kill it when it spread, most of the time it would not grow back from the same spot. Occasionally it came back, that's why I would observe for some time before adding the frag to your display.
Thank you! I'll give that a try.

Back