Xenia not looking very peachy...

bizzynewreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, have a 90gal mixed reef. Tanks been cycled, since cycling I've slowly introduced quite a few fish...
1 hippo
8 nassarius
2 trochus
2 clown
1 6line wrasse
1 yellow tail damsel

For coral
1 Duncan colony
1 pinwheel zoa
1 bubble pop zoa
2 superman mushrooms(split within 1 week of me getting it)
1 neon green mushroom
1 Florida ricordia
And the one in question the pulsing xenia

I have yet to check mag and calc, I did a w/c 2 days ago I need to grab new test kits this weekend. I made a change from seachems vibrant sea salt, to instant ocean Reef crystals.

I have done atleast a dozen big water changes and the xenia has never curled up or looked this way. All my other mushrooms and coral and thriving no issues, my neon green is actually bigger than ever. The xenia does not fully close at night since the change of salt, and does not pulse or even fully open for 3 days now.

0 amonia
0nitrites
But my nitrates I've slowly been trying to bring down from the 100ppm range...I've brought them down to about 50 thus far. I just don't want to change anything seeing everything BUT the xenia thriving, reading online xenia isn't easy to kill, yet here I am feeling like I accomplished just that.

20240305_114731.jpg 20240301_162611.jpg 17097605604833538985123746903449.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it doesn't look bad at all, just a little irritated. If lighting or flow is too intense, they can close like that.

OP
OP
bizzynewreefs

bizzynewreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't moved it at all, flow, lights everything the same, only difference is a change of salt.

OP
OP
bizzynewreefs

bizzynewreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry mind you, the photo that is not zoomed in is prior to it looking like ****e

OP
OP
bizzynewreefs

bizzynewreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so then I'll have to ask, why did you switch salts if everything was happy?
It was a recommendation from LFS...because of the amount of coral they recommended reef crystals. Another big plus was the pail it comes in, unlike the cardboard box you get with seachem.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the uncanny ability to kill Xenia also. Not sure whats up but I have only ever gotten it to thrive 1 time. It usually dies on me in a couple weeks. Yet, I can keep lps, zoas, rfas, thats all I have rn, but in the past leathers, mushrooms, sps, clams gorgonians, nps corals. The easy corals people hate Xenia, gsp, anthelia always die on me.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the uncanny ability to kill Xenia also. Not sure whats up but I have only ever gotten it to thrive 1 time. It usually dies on me in a couple weeks. Yet, I can keep lps, zoas, rfas, thats all I have rn, but in the past leathers, mushrooms, sps, clams gorgonians, nps corals. The easy corals people hate Xenia, gsp, anthelia always die on me.
what a "bad" problem to have :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

amazing how different all of our tanks are

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly torn on bringing some into my tank.

While I love the bright green of GSP and the pulsing/flowing of xenia and GSP look great. I have read horror stories (and the opposite) so :thinking-face: i dunno.
If you really like it, then get it!

Worst case is that you frag it, and bring it back to your LFS for store credit! It has the potential to become a money making machine!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly torn on bringing some into my tank.

While I love the bright green of GSP and the pulsing/flowing of xenia and GSP look great. I have read horror stories (and the opposite) so :thinking-face: i dunno.
I tried a nice frag of it about 3-4 weeks ago same area that my zoas/palys are in. Its gone now, melted about 2 weeks ago. Zoas/palys keep putting out new polyps. Who knows.....

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, have a 90gal mixed reef. Tanks been cycled, since cycling I've slowly introduced quite a few fish...
1 hippo
8 nassarius
2 trochus
2 clown
1 6line wrasse
1 yellow tail damsel

For coral
1 Duncan colony
1 pinwheel zoa
1 bubble pop zoa
2 superman mushrooms(split within 1 week of me getting it)
1 neon green mushroom
1 Florida ricordia
And the one in question the pulsing xenia

I have yet to check mag and calc, I did a w/c 2 days ago I need to grab new test kits this weekend. I made a change from seachems vibrant sea salt, to instant ocean Reef crystals.

I have done atleast a dozen big water changes and the xenia has never curled up or looked this way. All my other mushrooms and coral and thriving no issues, my neon green is actually bigger than ever. The xenia does not fully close at night since the change of salt, and does not pulse or even fully open for 3 days now.

0 amonia
0nitrites
But my nitrates I've slowly been trying to bring down from the 100ppm range...I've brought them down to about 50 thus far. I just don't want to change anything seeing everything BUT the xenia thriving, reading online xenia isn't easy to kill, yet here I am feeling like I accomplished just that.

20240305_114731.jpg 20240301_162611.jpg 17097605604833538985123746903449.jpg
I reread the thread and I see where the issue appears to have started AFTER your water change with reef crystals salt, but how big was the water change? was the water change with 100% reef crystals or did you do a 50/50 blend or 75/25 blend?

The salts appear close to each other with a few parameters lower in the reef crystals (alk and calc, for example), but they don't appear vastly different

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back