My pulsing Xenia just isn’t pulsing please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s an update on the Xenia
Elevate these guys to ipper third of tank under moderate light and water flow. Low alk will not impact them as will high phosphate, low salinity and too much light.

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pulsing xenia stopped pulsing since I moved then to a higher flow area (3 weeks ago) and when I turn off the pumps to do a water change they don't pulse. But since then they doubled in size anyway, so I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with them. Because I'm new to the hobby i introduced them to my tank, but now I'm thinking I should get rid of them when I saw how fast they grow...

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take it off your hands
LOL I was just joking. However, I found surrounding it with hammers kept it in check. Clowns liked it.
20181114_131846.jpg

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of sucks to here people say that Xenia is basically indestructible and he one I got is not doing what it’s supposed to do

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get there. Xenia is only indestructible once it get's established...

I did not see how old the tank is, or what lights you have over the tank.
It seems like your tank is still maturing. I would keep up on regular water changes using RO water for all top off and mixing up saltwater. Patience is needed in the process even though you are very excited to get things going. It is hard for all of us!

In my experience if the lighting is too low xenia will not pump. I used to have them growing under strong metal halide lighting and they loved it. Just my experience though...

I would also agree that there is a very good chance the coral beauty is picking on it and causing problems as well.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, you don't have very many corals. I personally would not dose anything. Regular water changes will take care of it all right now. In my opinion.

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get there. Xenia is only indestructible once it get's established...

I did not see how old the tank is, or what lights you have over the tank.
It seems like your tank is still maturing. I would keep up on regular water changes using RO water for all top off and mixing up saltwater. Patience is needed in the process even though you are very excited to get things going. It is hard for all of us!

In my experience if the lighting is too low xenia will not pump. I used to have them growing under strong metal halide lighting and they loved it. Just my experience though...

I would also agree that there is a very good chance the coral beauty is picking on it and causing problems as well.
My tank is 3 years old now and yeah I need to do a water change

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back