My pulsing Xenia just isn’t pulsing please help

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it but info have a lot of green algae in the tank and could that be why they are not pulsing?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think the algae may be some of the problem also. I would add some trace with amino acids to the tank until the algae is under control if you plan on growing any type of coral. I also do not think you will get your nutrients ( P04 & N03 ) up with the amount of algae in the tank.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the algae may be some of the problem also. I would add some trace with amino acids to the tank until the algae is under control if you plan on growing any type of coral. I also do not think you will get your nutrients ( P04 & N03 ) up with the amount of algae in the tank.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”
Amino acids will help fuel the algae. Their nitrate is 25 doesnt need to be more, possibly less.

OP I dont remember the conversion to DKH but I think your alk is on the low end. What salt do you use? May need to up water changes.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked it up 17.9 mg/l so your dkh what a lot of us go by would be around 6.6 which is low. Safe/happy would be 130-160 mg/l .
Regular IO or Reef crystals? I'm guessing regular.
Whats your water change schedule?
I dont know I kill Xenia so maybe someone else will chime in. I have a tank full of zoas, hammers, torches, duncans, and acans all doing great but a small frag of xenia melted a couple days after I put it in.

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked it up 17.9 mg/l so your dkh what a lot of us go by would be around 6.6 which is low. Safe/happy would be 130-160 mg/l .
Regular IO or Reef crystals? I'm guessing regular.
Whats your water change schedule?
I dont know I kill Xenia so maybe someone else will chime in. I have a tank full of zoas, hammers, torches, duncans, and acans all doing great but a small frag of xenia melted a couple days after I put it in.
Yeah I use reef crystals and I havent
Done a actual water change in a while when I did a 40% and screwed everything up. but every week i seem to loose like 5-7 gallons of water from evaporation so I add ROdi water every week

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's anecdotal evidence that a lack of iodide can cause the pulsing to stop. You can dose a drop of Lugol's (or something like Seachem Reef Iodide, per instructions) and see what happens. Iodine levels drop quickly in a reef tank. If you're not supplementing it and not doing water changes, the only way you're getting it would be in the food you feed. Some have higher levels, and others have none.

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's anecdotal evidence that a lack of iodide can cause the pulsing to stop. You can dose a drop of Lugol's (or something like Seachem Reef Iodide, per instructions) and see what happens. Iodine levels drop quickly in a reef tank. If you're not supplementing it and not doing water changes, the only way you're getting it would be in the food you feed. Some have higher levels, and others have none.
I feed brine and whole fiddler crabs

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just did some research and my coral beauty might be eating my Xenia
What do I think possible?

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moonshiners recommends seachem still I believe

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And which one is better lugolsnor sechem
For iodine
No matter what you go with, use the smallest possible dosage because you're not testing for it. Also, consider just doing a 30% water change. Most salt mixes come with a high level of Iodine. This should give you what you need without the risk of hand dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back